none
Excel 2013 Standalone Power Pivot Hangs on scroll down

Question

• <p>Installed MS Office 2013 Pro and then installed Excel 2014 Standalone on top of Office Pro Excel. &nbsp;This is 64 bit version running Windows 7.</p><p>I create a model using SQL Server source and save the model. &nbsp;While displaying the data in a Power Pivot spreadsheet the scroll down hangs after I have added a new dimension to the rows. It appears that Excel has not completed the reformat of the table for the new dimension and conflicts with the scroll down action. My data model is very small with the fact tables not exceeding 10,000 entries. I can't believe the reformatting of the pivot table takes so long that it would conflict with the scroll.</p><p></p><p>This problem has occurred several times and appears to happen right after I add a new dimension to the pivot table.</p><p>&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p></p>&nbsp;
    Friday, March 14, 2014 4:25 PM

Answers

• Installed MS Office 2013 Pro and then installed Excel 2014 Standalone on top of Office Pro Excel.  This is 64 bit version running Windows 7.

I create a model using SQL Server source and save the model.  While displaying the data in a Power Pivot spreadsheet the scroll down hangs after I have added a new dimension to the rows. It appears that Excel has not completed the reformat of the table for the new dimension and conflicts with the scroll down action. My data model is very small with the fact tables not exceeding 10,000 entries. I can't believe the reformatting of the pivot table takes so long that it would conflict with the scroll.

This problem has occurred several times and appears to happen right after I add a new dimension to the pivot table.

It sounds like you identified this as a bug. Please post bugs on Connect.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:06 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Installed MS Office 2013 Pro and then installed Excel 2014 Standalone on top of Office Pro Excel.  This is 64 bit version running Windows 7.

I create a model using SQL Server source and save the model.  While displaying the data in a Power Pivot spreadsheet the scroll down hangs after I have added a new dimension to the rows. It appears that Excel has not completed the reformat of the table for the new dimension and conflicts with the scroll down action. My data model is very small with the fact tables not exceeding 10,000 entries. I can't believe the reformatting of the pivot table takes so long that it would conflict with the scroll.

This problem has occurred several times and appears to happen right after I add a new dimension to the pivot table.

Friday, March 14, 2014 4:24 PM

Friday, March 14, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Hello,

I'm curious that you have installed Microsoft Office 2013 Pro vesion, why you installed Excel 2013 Standalone again on the same machine?

The PowerPivot for Excel add-in is included in the Office Professional Plus and Office 365 Professional Plus editions, and in the standalone edition of Excel 2013. So, I would suggest you uninstall Office 2013 Pro and Excel 2013 Standalone versions, and then only install Office 2013 Pro to see if this issue still persists 

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:00 AM
  • Hi Elvis,

There are two versions of Office 2013 Pro.  Office 2013 pro Plus and Office 2013 pro.  Office 2013 Pro does not include Power Pivot.  It was a gatcha. Moving from Office 2010 to office 2013 Power pivot was dropped from Excel and only available ijn select versions.

Wish it was as easy as you suggested.  Installing Office 2013 Pro does not include Power Pivot.  Office pro and office Pro Plus are two different products.   

Thanks for responding.      

Regards,

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Any other ideas for MJC?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:05 AM
    Owner

It sounds like you identified this as a bug. Please post bugs on Connect.

Thanks!

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:06 AM
    Owner