none
SBS 2111 Slow & Slow Transfer Speeds

Question

• Hi

I have setup a small business server using SBS 2011 which runs a small network of 5 PCs.  The specs of the HP server are decent (Xeon 3.2ghz cpu, 12gb RAM), however I am getting really slow performance on both day to day working on the server and also on transferring files locally.

My Server is mianly only used for general file sharing over the network, a domain controller and a mail server so its should be able to cope with this easy.  However when I am logged into the server performance is slow (opening programs, general browsing through folders etc).  More worringly when try and I copy files locally from one drive to another in the sever it takes ages! So slow in fact that it is quicker to connect to a Win7 PC on the network and move the files to the other server drive via the PC over a standard 100mb network cable.

Of particular issue is moving smallish file (sizes) but grouped in large numbers eg a folder that has 10k items but is only 2gb in size will take up to 5 hrs to move to another drive in the server!!

Does anyone have any suggetions as to why this would be? Its a fresh install and has auto windows updates applied but still no change in performance.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks 

• Edited by sitchey Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:01 AM
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi:

Can you tell us the model of the server, the controller and the drives and how they are configured?  I ask because drive access speed is dependent on all these things.

It would appear that the drive speed and the transfer rate are the culprits here.  I would also contact HP support and get input from them

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:47 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to disable all instances of TCP Offloading and Receive Side Scaling on the hosts’ networks to check the result first.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

Slow data transfer speed in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2675785/en-us

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:47 AM