none
Adding updates to WSUS

Question

• Hi, we are running Update Services 3.2.7600.226 on Windows server 2008R2 and I want to add .net 4 platform to the workstation update schedule. Our expert on this has left and we have no documentation on the process. I think the sequence of events is to right-click on 'Updates' (under Update Services), click on 'Import Updates', enter '.net 4' in the search and add all components related to our client operating system (Windows XP SP 3). Yay or nay?

If this is correct will any subsequent updates for the product be automatically downloaded? 

Secondly, once the updates are downloaded to WSUS, what is the process to actually deploy these to the client workstations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hello tralphy,

If I'm understanding well what you are asking for, you want to deploy .NET Framework v.4 updates and you don't know how to :

1) Download these updates on the WSUS Server.
    2) Add them to your clients.

First of all, you said your server is in 3.2.7600.226 build, I assume that you found this clicking on the Help menu in the MMC WSUS console.
    Can you please look at the build version in the Server Manager control panel and going down the tree : Server Manager > Roles > Windows Updates Services > Updates Services.

Here you'll find the exact version of your WSUS server.

If you can read that you really have a 3.2.7600.226 version, please patch your server and all replica you can have with the following updates : KB2720211 and KB2734608

Once this is done, check your WSUS configuration on how clients are managed and if Group Policies are settled to add computer in groups or if they go to the "Unassigned Computer" zone.
    (to learn much more about this, please refer to the WSUS installation guide)

Now, for your request on .NET, these updates are Security Updates and will be automatically downloaded if you have some OS selected in the Products and Classifications options.
    If you do not find any updates applied or to be applied, look in the Updates panel and use filters over the Security's and check out if they are pending, approved, etc.

Last point, to apply to your clients, you just need to right click the selected update and to Approve... and link it to the right Computer Group.

Thanks.

TiGrOu.

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:12 AM