none
SBS 2011 Default MailBox Database - I Want to Change...

Question

• How do you set the default mailbox database to a different mailbox database?

I know how to create the new mailbox database and also how to move mailbox recipients to the new database.

The problem is getting the SBS console to add and remove users to the new database without getting the Pipeline error message.

The SBS console is tied to the default Mailbox Database that was created during setup. I want to change it.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:20 PM

Answers

• I would request if you can read suggestions from Susan "SBS is an integrated solution and everything works the best when itself to install and you follow the wizards of setup.". Wizards are designed and programmed  "hard coded".What's by design cannot be changed or modified and if that is possible, in the long run that is going to cause other issues.

Then the first reply would be better to start off by saying, "It can't be done" and not "dumb question, Why?"

If it can't be done then that's one thing. If it can be done and you question someones motives, that's another. What a wasted thread and not helpful to anyone.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• Can I ask a dumb question?  Why?

SBS is an integrated solution and everything works the best when it's
    left to install and you follow the wizards of setup.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:40 PM
  • Why do you want to alter the integrated Exchange setup that SBS did so nicely for you?

Steve

<IbanezWiz> wrote in message news:577ab411-64b5-4638-8433-1d6a948e28cd@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

How do you set the default mailbox database to a different mailbox database?

I know how to create the new mailbox database and also how to move mailbox recipients to the new database.

The problem is getting the SBS console to add and remove users to the new database without getting the Pipeline error message.

The SBS console is tied to the default Mailbox Database that was created during setup. I want to change it.

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:43 PM
  • Can I ask a dumb question?  Why?

SBS is an integrated solution and everything works the best when it's
    left to install and you follow the wizards of setup.

Yes you can...

Maybe I don't like the name of it and I want something more meaningful. Did you have something more to offer?

It's kind of sad. You come to these forums to get help but instead you get questions about your motives.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Because this is SBS.  Where you'd better have a business reason for changing the name of the Exchange store rather than asking to change it for a whim of a reason for renaming it.  There's a lot of things under the hood connected to this and you are going down an uncharted/untested path.

We ask for your motives because before you shoot yourself in the foot we'd like to know why you want to shoot yourself in the foot.

You aren't just changing Exchange, there's SharePoint connectors to worry about.  Also keep in mind that changing the database that was put there with a script means that the next consultant behind you is going to fire up this server and wonder why this new client they took over is set up differently than the rest of his servers and possibly consider rebuilding the network to ensure that everything is right on the box.

So yes, I'd really like to know what business reason you have for this.  I'm asking on behalf of the business.

It's kinda sad when you refuse 10 years of best practices of SBSism being put forth.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:58 AM
  • Because this is SBS.  Where you'd better have a business reason for changing the name of the Exchange store rather than asking to change it for a whim of a reason for renaming it.  There's a lot of things under the hood connected to this and you are going down an uncharted/untested path.

We ask for your motives because before you shoot yourself in the foot we'd like to know why you want to shoot yourself in the foot.

You aren't just changing Exchange, there's SharePoint connectors to worry about.  Also keep in mind that changing the database that was put there with a script means that the next consultant behind you is going to fire up this server and wonder why this new client they took over is set up differently than the rest of his servers and possibly consider rebuilding the network to ensure that everything is right on the box.

So yes, I'd really like to know what business reason you have for this.  I'm asking on behalf of the business.

It's kinda sad when you refuse 10 years of best practices of SBSism being put forth.

You can create up to 5 mailbox databases in Exchange (standard). You can also have different mailboxes use different mailbox databases. I know there are a lot of things connected under the hood (as you say). That's the reason for the post. You have not been very helpful in this forum and I question your purpose as a moderator.

If for some reason the default mailbox database got corrupted, someone might use a local move request to move the mailboxes to another database. SBS would still be looking for the default that was created. There has to be a way to set the newly created database as the default for SBS to recognize it.

Please do not respond any further. Maybe someone else that would like to be more helpful might reply.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:24 AM
  • As I go to see if the SBS 2011 repair docs are out, the SBS 2008 ones provided a powershell script to reinstall the box with a script.

I'm being helpful by trying to convince you that if you want to do your own thing, buy Windows 2008r2 and Exchange 2010.  This is SBS where setup logs left behind on the box are what the support folks look at even later on to help them understand what was done with the box.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:27 AM
  • "You can create up to 5 mailbox databases in Exchange (standard). You can also have different mailboxes use different mailbox databases. I know there are a lot of things connected under the hood (as you say). That's the reason for the post. You have not been very helpful in this forum and I question your purpose as a moderator.

If for some reason the default mailbox database got corrupted, someone might use a local move request to move the mailboxes to another database. SBS would still be looking for the default that was created. There has to be a way to set the newly created database as the default for SBS to recognize it."

Please do not respond any further. Maybe someone else that would like to be more helpful might reply."

I think that's the fundamental issue though. You are talking in terms of standard exchange. If you want to achieve what you are suggesting then you shouldn't be using SBS, you should be using classic servers and standard exchange in a full "standard" AD environment. But you also have to pay the extra £££$$$ required to do that, have the extra hardware, the extra skills, the CALs.... SBS is a wizard-driven system because you're getting access to top-notch functionality at a massively reduced price and without any of the complexity. SBS is designed for business with little or no in-house IT staff, which is why it is wizard-driven. Change things outside the wizards and you will break it very easily. of course there are many things you can't change with the wizards and it will still work (mail forwarding when somebody leaves, for example) but the wizards expect a mailbox store with a certain name and that is that.

And on a personal note....I've been supporting SBS systems since SBS2000, and Susan Bradley's blogs and postings (and individual replies) are without doubt the most helpful and informative I have come across. If you come to a forum like this and start being dismissive of people who are willing to help you, you're very quickly going to find that no-one will help. When you shoot yourself in the foot as it looks like you are hell-bent on doing, you're on your own. Play nice, help others, and others will help you.

Jim

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you would like to change the default mailbox database. And you know how to create the new mailbox database and also know how to move mailbox recipients to the new database.

I was a little confused about your problem:

If there is no pipeline error message displayed when you tried to add/remove the users to the new database, I think it’s good to you. Could you please clarify the issue?

At the same time, please look into the application logging file and system logging file to verify whether there are some mailbox database related issue.

Then please enter the following command in the Exchange Management Shell:

Get-MailboxDatabase |FL

Thx,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:22 AM
  •  

Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you would like to change the default mailbox database. And you know how to create the new mailbox database and also know how to move mailbox recipients to the new database.

I was a little confused about your problem:

If there is no pipeline error message displayed when you tried to add/remove the users to the new database, I think it’s good to you. Could you please clarify the issue?

At the same time, please look into the application logging file and system logging file to verify whether there are some mailbox database related issue.

Then please enter the following command in the Exchange Management Shell:

Get-MailboxDatabase |FL

Thx,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

James,

Well that's the thing, I get the pipeline error message when deleting users after they been moved to another database. It's removes them from Exchange but I get the error afterwards.

To Jim Willsher,

And I don't buy this, "It's wizard driven" so don't do anything that's not done in the console stuff. There's a lot that cannot be done from the console. How do you setup an accepted domain from the console? How much Sharepoint stuff can you do from the console?

Come on guys. I asked a simple question that turned into a mess because someone thinks they know more and wants to protect them from hurting themselves.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:32 PM
  • I would request if you can read suggestions from Susan "SBS is an integrated solution and everything works the best when itself to install and you follow the wizards of setup.". Wizards are designed and programmed  "hard coded".What's by design cannot be changed or modified and if that is possible, in the long run that is going to cause other issues.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:04 PM

Then the first reply would be better to start off by saying, "It can't be done" and not "dumb question, Why?"

If it can't be done then that's one thing. If it can be done and you question someones motives, that's another. What a wasted thread and not helpful to anyone.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:28 PM
  • The domain naming wizard sets up the accepted domain value.  http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/06/10/certain-remote-client-access-can-break-if-you-change-the-default-accepted-domain-on-sbs-2011-standard.aspx

Going in there and manually changing it has broken remote access for folks, so be aware of that issue.

I want to protect your client is what I'm doing here.  I'm not protecting myself from anything here.

First off .. What's the exact pipeline error - please post the exact error you are getting?

Secondly, think back to the SBS migration process.  Remember how you have to run the file to stamp the users with the AD attribute to make them show up in the console?  The manual instructions have you go into ADSIEDIT and stamp a SBS specific attribute to get them to show up in the console.  Underneath the hood there's hidden values that if you go outside the install you have to put back.

When you built this second database, did you delete the original one?  Why not leave the first default one there and just build a powershell script to move the users over from the default one.  This leaves the box with it's original 'stamp' of install and doesn't mangle any console issues.

The arguments you are making that in the SBS world you'd need the ability to rebuild a default mailbox due to corruption, I'd argue don't occur, or it's not the way you'd approach it. Exchange doesn't do that, and has utilities (eseutil) that can be used.  Also when you look at the Exchange 2010 repair docs on the SBS 2011 technet site their first recommendation is to restore from a backup.

If you say "I accidentally deleted the default mailbox database value" then post up the pipeline error so we can see if it's possible to fix this without a repair of Exchange or recovery from a backup.  But tell me "I want to change the name because I don't like it"... come on, that's a lame reason for it and puts your client at risk of you getting people in forums pushing back on your request. 

And I still say as others are, don't fight SBS and it won't fight you.  Whatever the install installed at, let it do it's thing.  Build from that.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:32 PM
  • I am the client and I am the administrator. It's my domain for my business.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:35 PM
  • What's the exact error?
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:37 PM
  • What's the exact error?

All I get is a window that pops up and says, "Powershell pipeline returned an error. Please consult your log file for further details." I do not see anything else in the Windows Application Logs.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:44 PM
  • +1 to that! Susan is one of the most helpful and informed people you will find. Please use SBS as it was intended and don't ask us to suggest ways to break it.

Steve

<Jim Willsher> wrote in message news:c56ce4e5-3b62-40e0-a19a-9e26d8a90fe2@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

"You can create up to 5 mailbox databases in Exchange (standard). You can also have different mailboxes use different mailbox databases. I know there are a lot of things connected under the hood (as you say). That's the reason for the post. You have not been very helpful in this forum and I question your purpose as a moderator.

If for some reason the default mailbox database got corrupted, someone might use a local move request to move the mailboxes to another database. SBS would still be looking for the default that was created. There has to be a way to set the newly created database as the default for SBS to recognize it."

Please do not respond any further. Maybe someone else that would like to be more helpful might reply."

I think that's the fundamental issue though. You are talking in terms of standard exchange. If you want to achieve what you are suggesting then you shouldn't be using SBS, you should be using classic servers and standard exchange in a full "standard" AD environment. But you also have to pay the extra £££$$$ required to do that, have the extra hardware, the extra skills, the CALs.... SBS is a wizard-driven system because you're getting access to top-notch functionality at a massively reduced price and without any of the complexity. SBS is designed for business with little or no in-house IT staff, which is why it is wizard-driven. Change things outside the wizards and you will break it very easily. of course there are many things you can't change with the wizards and it will still work (mail forwarding when somebody leaves, for example) but the wizards expect a mailbox store with a certain name and that is that.

And on a personal note....I've been supporting SBS systems since SBS2000, and Susan Bradley's blogs and postings (and individual replies) are without doubt the most helpful and informative I have come across. If you come to a forum like this and start being dismissive of people who are willing to help you, you're very quickly going to find that no-one will help. When you shoot yourself in the foot as it looks like you are hell-bent on doing, you're on your own. Play nice, help others, and others will help you.

Jim

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Look in the PowerShell log (expand the + below) anything specifically in there?

And you are getting this exactly at what step, doing exactly what?

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Were you able to find anything?
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Besides the fact that it would be nice to keep SBS running it its own sandbox it would be much nicer if the SBS product Team would respect how the other Microsoft products work.

As SBS 2011 utilizes Exchange 2010 it would be much easier for a SBS Administrator when the SBS Console would leave the database selection task to Exchange. Exchange can select a target database for a new mailbox on its own. To restrict the creation of a new database to a single database is bad thing to do. Especially when the target database is defined in the regstry and not in a config file. The C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin folder provides a lot of configuration files. But for what purpose? None.

If you want to change the default mailbox database for the SBS Console check the followinf Knowledge Base article and use the database name needed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500559

Cheers,
    Thomas

Thomas Stensitzki - MCPD, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCSA:Messaging
    • Proposed as answer by teamits Friday, March 09, 2012 9:47 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 8:14 AM
  • This is an older thread, but we had a similar situation (albeit in SBS 2008) where the original Mailbox Database file got corrupted, so we created a new one and moved all mailboxes into it, and dismounted the original.  The user creation wizard still "created" the new mailbox in the dismounted store, but did not show us an error.  Outlook did show a cryptic error when first opening it, something about needing to connect before syncing offline folders or something similar (didn't write it down, sorry)

Per this page we simply renamed the storage groups and mailbox database.  SBS is either smart enough or dumb enough (take your pick) to use the original names even though it's actually a different database on disk.

Friday, March 09, 2012 9:38 PM
  • I totally agreee with your post, Exchange standard 2010 can support up to 5 databases, there are valid reasons why you may want extra or need to rename them. corruption being one of them, what if the disk you had underneath was too small, you bought a second drive to host a second database, what if you wanted a dial tone database while mailboxes were being recovered - the dial tone database then becomes the default. The following command may help you (where "Database" is the name of the database you want to exclude, the old one) i have not tested this though, and if the SBS console does use some other hard coded route then this may do nothing for you at all.

Set-MailboxDatabase "Database" -IsExcludedFromProvisioning:$true

I have also found with trying to perform other operations that work fine using Exchange 2010 native tools but they dont work if you use the SBS Console, i have no idea why Microsoft have put in a load of extra hard work to "hard code" somethings when really they could just run a few powershell scripts which already take advantage of the underlying products such as Exchange and SharePoint, almost anything can be done with PS so i dont know why they make an alternative way to do these things.

I hope you find a way of solving your issue.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:52 PM
  • I gave up working with most people in this forum. All they care about is showing everyone how well they know the recommended guidelines and not real world applications.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:10 PM
  • The "real world application" is firstly to listen to the moderators, ESPECIALLY Susan. Mucking around with SBS by circumventing any of the wizards is NOT the real 'SBS' world. Your guidance is to follow the rules of SBS, not make it do what you want it to do.

Thanks, Bill V

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Another example of what's wrong with this forum.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Nobody here has done anything except either try to help you or try to prevent you digging your own grave. Is that so bad?

If you don't value assistance from peers then go and google for your own support, as that's free too.

Jim

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Ibanez , this is real world SBS. 

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:51 PM
  • The SBS console for example is looking for a SBS ADSIedit value in the user's AD.

I merely asked why he was trying to do this, to make sure this partner understood that there's nuances in SBS that you do because it is a tightly integrated deployment, and understanding the why, we may be able to come up with another way to solve what his problem is.

Need to move the database to a bigger drive?  There's a wizard for that and no need to rename anything.

Have corruption?  That doesn't normally happen and you probably need to dig deeper into the why.  Also since you are a partner I recommend calling into Exchange server down and getting help because this is SBS.

See how the why is important?  It's not attitude  or questioning motives... asking the why, it's a real genuine - let's get to the bottom of why you are trying to do this because let's make sure you are getting the right resolution for the real underlying problem.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Nobody here has done anything except either try to help you or try to prevent you digging your own grave. Is that so bad?

If that was actually the case then it wouldn't be bad. However what happens in the Technet forums (not only in the SBS forums, but everywhere) is that in every second thread (I exaggerate a little bit here) a moderator chimes in and tells the person that seeks for help: "What you ask for is impossible" - "It cannot be done" - "The solution you're looking for doesn't exist" ...

Of course "it cannot be done" can still be a helpful response: It doesn't solve the problem, but at least it saves you time by not following down paths that lead nowhere.

However (and that is what I worry about) in most cases that answer is simply wrong! If you actually know a product inside out and know that the problem in question is technically impossible to solve, then I welcome every "it cannot be done". But if you simply don't know the solution to a problem (or are unwilling to share it) better don't reply.

Don't get me wrong, I like these forums and have found a lot of valueable help here, but many, too many threads go like this: User A needs help and asks a question. Then Moderator B and frequent User C come in and tell User A that what he did was stupid, that it cannot be done and that he should call Microsoft. Then, three months later User D posts the solution to A's problem.

In this thread User D was Mr Stensitzki, it would be good if you at least could mark his reply as the answer so other readers don't have to shift through the whole thread.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 4:25 PM
  • I already marked the thread as answered about a year ago. I cannot verify if user D had the answer or not.

Thanks!

Friday, July 06, 2012 1:59 AM
  • I had this exact same problem and yes I can verify it is the solution.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:29 AM