none
Power Map and internet connectivity

Question

• Hi,

after I installed Power Map I've got an error

«Power Map encountered an error and cannot be launched. Please check your internet connectivity and try again»

but map in Power View in the same file works fine

Please, help me

Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:41 PM

Answers

• I'm seeing the same thing when going through a proxy server that require authentication. (When using a connection with no proxy / no authentication needed it works great).

My guess is that somewhere, there's a web request that is not picking up the proxy settings... ( someWebReques.Proxy = WebRequest.GetSystemWebProxy();  )

Update: Running Fiddler, I can see a couple of failed (due to proxy authentication) connection attempts from Excel to de-users-preview.sqlazurelabs.com. Not sure if these originate from PowerMap or from something else, but the HTTP 407 returned by the proxy server is not handled by whatever is trying to connect to that host...

Update 2: I attached a debugger to Excel in an attempt to find what failed. It looks like the root issue is that the web request made by GetBingServiceInfoAsync (in Microsoft.Data.Visualization.VisualizationControls.GeospatialEndpoint) doesn't use default proxy credentials. When I set the proxy credentials to System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials from the debugger before that web request was made (before calling DownloadBits from DownloadDataInternal in System.NetWebClient), I was able to launch PowerMap behind a web proxy without that error. (However, map refresh didn't work properly, so I guess there are other web requests later that also need proxy credentials). Hope this helps... :)

Update 3: I created a new config file for excel (excel.exe.config) in the office application folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15) with the following content, and I'm now able to launch PowerMap from behind a proxy...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
      <system.net>
        <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" />
      </system.net>
    </configuration>

Update 4: A config file for the PowerQuery/PowerMap executable is also needed; same content as above, but stored in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power Query Preview for Excel\bin and called microsoft.mashup.container.exe.config...

Update 5: If your install path for office is not "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15", then the location where you should put excel.exe.config is the same folder where excel.exe is installed.

Monday, October 14, 2013 4:58 AM

All replies

• I've got the same error. Please, give me a hint
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Hello,

Power Map requires internet connectivity as described in the system requirements. Are you connected to the internet and still not able to use Power Map with this error?

Thank you,

Blair Neumann (MSFT)

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:19 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Blair,

the same PC, the same file and maps in Power View do work

What should I do?

Mikhael

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Internet works fine. Power view with maps is ok, but Power Map (Preview for Excel 2013) doesn't start.
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Hello to all!

We have the same problem here in Germany.

We are working as external consultants for a german car manufacture an encountered this problem in in internal network of our customer. Bing Maps work fine, all onther things work fine ONLY Power map does not work.

But if we connect the same PC and installation to an open network without proxy and firewall (LTE mobile network via wireless) everything works fine.

To me it looks like that an special port is uses by Power map with should normally not used, so please tell us the port (and later use normal ports, please).

Kind regards Gerald and Wolfgang

Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Gerald and Wolfgang,

Thank you for writing to us. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Can you please try using Power View Maps and let us know whether that works? We will follow up with instructions on how to get a trace shortly.

Igor Peev

Microsoft Power Map team

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:16 PM
    Owner
  • Hello Igor!

I tried now the Power View Maps and this works.

But unfortunately Power Map still not.

Kind regards Gerald and Wolfgang

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Hi Gerald and Wolfgang,

I am on the PowerMap team and would like to help diagnose this issue further. Please contact me directly at bilgehan.bakirci@hotmail.com.

Thank you 

Bilgehan Bakirci

Microsoft Power Map Team (MSFT)

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Good Day,

any news?

thank you!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

I am also having exactly the same problem.  My internet access is fine (I do have to go through a proxy though) but I also get the error stating Power Maps requires an internet connection.  Likewise I can get maps to work in the same Excel book when Power Maps will not.  Are we any further forward with a solution?

Thanks,

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I am on the PowerMap team and would like to help diagnose this issue further. Please contact me directly at bilgehan.bakirci@hotmail.com.

Thank you 
    Bilgehan Bakirci

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Hello Bilgehan,

We were the first who reported about this issue, can we to write to you directly?

As I understood the problem will be resolved after that

Mikhael

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:08 PM
  • Hi Mikhael,

Sure. Please contact me directly at bilgehan.bakirci@hotmail.com. I would like to help resolve this issue.

Thank you

Bilgehan

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

I get the same, and have narrowed it down to the fact that I am going out via a proxy. If my admin logs onto my machine and bypasses the proxy PowerMap loads and works fine.

Thanks

Darren

Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Hello all,

Bilgehan is one of our testers in the Power Map development team. We have been talking about this issue, and he simply has to have more information about your proxy servers to be able to investigate this issue. We really need someone who can reproduce this issue to contact him directly at bilgehan.bakirci@hotmail.com so we can find out how to reproduce the problem.

Also, Darren, do you have to enter proxy credentials to get on the network?

Thank you!
    Anita Oakley
    Beta Support, Microsoft Excel

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 9:17 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue with Power Map not opening when the client is behind a proxy. I just sent an email to Bilgehan with my contact information.
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:02 PM
  • I'm seeing the same thing when going through a proxy server that require authentication. (When using a connection with no proxy / no authentication needed it works great).

My guess is that somewhere, there's a web request that is not picking up the proxy settings... ( someWebReques.Proxy = WebRequest.GetSystemWebProxy();  )

Update: Running Fiddler, I can see a couple of failed (due to proxy authentication) connection attempts from Excel to de-users-preview.sqlazurelabs.com. Not sure if these originate from PowerMap or from something else, but the HTTP 407 returned by the proxy server is not handled by whatever is trying to connect to that host...

Update 2: I attached a debugger to Excel in an attempt to find what failed. It looks like the root issue is that the web request made by GetBingServiceInfoAsync (in Microsoft.Data.Visualization.VisualizationControls.GeospatialEndpoint) doesn't use default proxy credentials. When I set the proxy credentials to System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials from the debugger before that web request was made (before calling DownloadBits from DownloadDataInternal in System.NetWebClient), I was able to launch PowerMap behind a web proxy without that error. (However, map refresh didn't work properly, so I guess there are other web requests later that also need proxy credentials). Hope this helps... :)

Update 3: I created a new config file for excel (excel.exe.config) in the office application folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15) with the following content, and I'm now able to launch PowerMap from behind a proxy...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
      <system.net>
        <defaultProxy useDefaultCredentials="true" />
      </system.net>
    </configuration>

Update 4: A config file for the PowerQuery/PowerMap executable is also needed; same content as above, but stored in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power Query Preview for Excel\bin and called microsoft.mashup.container.exe.config...

Update 5: If your install path for office is not "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15", then the location where you should put excel.exe.config is the same folder where excel.exe is installed.

Monday, October 14, 2013 4:58 AM
  • It worked perfectly fine! 

Thank you! :)

Monday, December 23, 2013 4:07 PM
  • I am also facing the same issue. I'm behind a corporate proxy server and Power Maps doesn't load reporting back an error of "Power Map encountered an error and cannot be launched. Please check your internet connectivity and try again".

I attempted to use the workaround as reported by KirstoferA, but I'm using Office 2013 32bit and I don't see those folders you have mentioned to copy the .config files do. Are their equivalent folders to use for the 32bit version of Office 2013 ?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:13 PM
  • Try searching for excel.exe to find the folder where it is located. Then place the excel.exe.config file in the same folder.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:18 PM
  • I've create the excel.exe.config config file in my C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15 directory where the EXCEL.EXE file is located, but unfortunately I still cannot get the Power Map add in to work.

I've also put the microsoft.mashup.container.exe.config file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Power Map Preview for Excel folder with the same content.

Is that the right location ?

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:39 PM