none
Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products

Question

• hi,

After installing SP1 and June CU i run following command and getting error.

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd installcheck -noinstallcheck

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfig
    urationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The upgrade
    command is invalid or a failure has been encountered.
    Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products.

Total number of configuration settings run: 6
    Total number of successful configuration settings: 5
    Total number of unsuccessful configuration settings: 1
    Successfully stopped the configuration of SharePoint Products.
    Configuration of SharePoint Products failed.  Configuration must be performed be
    fore you use SharePoint Products.  For further details, see the diagnostic log l
    ocated at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\1
    4\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_1_25_2012_9_18_39_653_1857840038.log and the application e
    vent log.

pls tell how to fix it. thx

iffi
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You need to run the following command on all servers in the farm with SharePoint installed. Make sure you run the command as administrator.

psconfig –cmd upgrade –inplace b2b –wait

You can run psconfig in parallel on all SharePoint machines.

Moreover, please check if there is any orphan databases in SharePoint, if so, delete them, then test again.

Run the following first to get a verbose listing of all the databases, then pipe the output to a text file.

Get-spdatabase |fl > C:\SPDatabase.txt

NOTE: Ensure that you have identified the correct “orphan” Database. If you delete the incorrect database, you will have Major problems on your farm.

$DB = Get-spdatabase -id <ID of orphaned DB>

$DB.delete()

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Rock Wang TechNet Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:55 AM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

i have 1 APP Server and 1 Web Server.

i installed SP1 and June CU, it took 5 hrs to install. Once installation done PSConfig wizard showing missing / required messages.

When i run

PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd installcheck -noinstallcheck

again is taking too much time to upgrade now its almost 3 hrs and its status showing 53%.

pls tell me why is taking so much time to install and upgrade what is the issue and how to fix it.

thx

iffi
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

You can use the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Restarting Admin & Timer services and Resetting IIS
    2. Troubleshooting errors via KB944267
    3. Clearing the SharePoint Configuration Cache

Thanks,

Rock Wang

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Hi,

i clear config cache . now status is as follow

he following databases require upgrade because their versions are older than the backwards compatible range:
    WSS_Search_SPWEB.

Use Upgrade-SPContentDatabase to upgrade Content databases, or psconfig.exe to upgrade other databases. If some databases are too new, check the Patch Status page to find out if the current server are missing SharePoint software patches. For more information about this rule, see "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142697".
    i run PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install but no success
    when i run Upgrade-SPContentDatabase it ask for identity when i enter identity i got 
    Upgrade-SPContentDatabase : The content database could not be found.
    At line:1 char:26
    + Upgrade-SPContentDatabase <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...ContentDatabase:
       SPCmdletUpgradeContentDatabase) [Upgrade-SPContentDatabase], SPException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletUpgradeC
       ontentDatabase
    pls tell how do i fix the issue. thx

iffi
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

You need to run the following command on all servers in the farm with SharePoint installed. Make sure you run the command as administrator.

psconfig –cmd upgrade –inplace b2b –wait

You can run psconfig in parallel on all SharePoint machines.

Moreover, please check if there is any orphan databases in SharePoint, if so, delete them, then test again.

Run the following first to get a verbose listing of all the databases, then pipe the output to a text file.

Get-spdatabase |fl > C:\SPDatabase.txt

NOTE: Ensure that you have identified the correct “orphan” Database. If you delete the incorrect database, you will have Major problems on your farm.

$DB = Get-spdatabase -id <ID of orphaned DB>

$DB.delete()

Thanks,

Rock Wang

• Marked as answer by Seven M Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:55 AM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 8:39 AM
  • hi rock,

how do i know which database is orphan, which parameter should i check.

when i try to delete database which says need upgrade i got following error message:

psException calling "Delete" with "0" argument(s): "An object in the SharePoint a
    dministrative framework, "SPSearchDatabase Name=WSS_Search-SPWEB-01", coul
    d not be deleted because other objects depend on it.  Update all of these depen
    dants to point to null or different objects and retry this operation.  The depe
    ndant objects are as follows:
    SPSearchServiceInstance
    "
    At line:1 char:11
    + $DB.delete <<<< ()
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

pls what to do.

iffi

• Edited by imughal Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:09 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:36 AM
  • PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd installcheck -noinstallcheck

I can never get this command to work on SP2010 Enterprise.  "-noinstallcheck"

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:39 PM