I have ILM 2007 running on a physical server 32 bit win 2003 R2 system and database on a Win 2008 server and it is on sql 2005
On the test environment, I have the similar server kit and would like to upgrade from ILM 2007 to FIM 2010
The challenges are
1. Want to retain the original database
2. Will there be an option to export the ILM 2007 key during the migration process ? (similar to what i did while migrating from MIIS 2003 to ILM 2007)
3. Will the Rule extensions work directly on FIM server or do I need to re compile them
4. Will I need to upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008?
If you have a step by step process for this, it will of great help
Please, read this Migrating from ILM 2007 to FIM 2010
1. Yes, you can do that.
2. You can export your keys anytime
3. It's recomended
While FIM 2010 can operate with the 32-bit versions of your metaverse and rules extensions, it is recommended that you to recompile your extensions to 64-bit for performance reasons if you did not originally compile them to be platform independent. To migrate your metaverse and rules extensions to 64-bit, you copy the source code to your server running FIM 2010, modify the references to point to the new FIM 2010 libraries, and then recompile your extensions.
Don't forget that it's not reversible though - the FIM upgrade will alter the schema of the ILM DB so you couldn't point ILM at it after the upgrade. Backup your ILM DB before the upgrade just in case.
Dave Nesbitt | Architect | Oxford Computer Group