none
Question about the sccm client regarding x64 x86 clients

Question

• Hi Guys,

Maybe you can clear something up for me. In my environment, we have a mixture of x86 and x64 clients. When setting up a task sequence, do I need to put a query on the setup configuration manager client step in the ts to determine the architecture? if so how can I do this? I have never did a query based on the architecture. Lastly would I need two client packages one for x64 clients and one for x86 clients?

Thanks for any advice.

Friday, July 26, 2013 12:18 PM

All replies

• I know when you push out the SCCM 2012 client from a server it will automatically select the appropriate version of the MSI to install for the client system, I am pretty sure the same is the case if you are adding the package to a MDT/SCCM task sequence as part of OS deployment. Just make sure your task sequence is first calling ccmsetup and not one of the secondary .msi's in the x64/x86 subfolders.

Also post installation if you look at the following file on the client system after deploying a sccm client you should see:

C:\Windows\ccmsetup\Logs\client.msi

This will contain a reference to the version of client installed:

Eventually if you get into 3rd party software patch management it may be useful to build queries to split out x86 from x64, but it will ultimately depend on what applications you are patching as to whether or not this will be needed.

• Proposed as answer by OpsConfig Friday, July 26, 2013 12:36 PM
    Friday, July 26, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, so in the ts, sccm should now what architecture the system is and install the appropriate client version? , but if I wanted to how would I do an architecture based query on the setup configuration manager client step of the TS?.
    Friday, July 26, 2013 2:08 PM
  • No, not really. The client installer (ccmsetup) automatically detects this and installs the correct one just like if you ran ccmsetup manually on any random system.

Updates are a bit of a different story though although your task sequences should (most likely) be architecture specific so including them in the TS isn't a big deal although they are best left for after the TS (in general).

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:32 PM
  • I been adding the cu2 hotfix for the client as part of the sccm client install, so I guess I will need to check the architecture?

Friday, July 26, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Most likely, yes. There are many permutations so it's hard say exactly.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:42 PM