none
Active Directory does not exist or cannot be contacted

Question

• I have just upgraded my Windows server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012. When I add the AD DS to the server and promote the server to domain controller I get the follow error when I try to open AD DS after the reboot. "Active Directory does not exist or cannot be contacted". I have tried to reinstall the OS and still get the same issue. I have been told this looks to be a DNS issue, but can not seem to solve the issue to get my AD DS to recognize the domain of the server. Has someone seen this error before and was able to resolve? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:03 AM

Answers

• Thank you for your help, but I was able to figure out the problem. When I upgraded the AD DS was trying to talk to the old AD DS that was still showing under the windows.old file. Even though you delete it it was not completely gone. What I had to do was do a clean wipe of the hard drives and reinstall again. With there being no other files on the server the AD DS was able to make a clean install as well and not be corrupted during the promote process.
    • Marked as answer by naxfo385 Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:16 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

lets start with some basic, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the existing DC/DNS server and the new machine.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Thank you for your response. It will not let me upload a picture. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything more. IP: 10.20.1.50 Sub Net: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 10.20.1.1 DNS Server: 10.20.1.50
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Hello,

for the upload problem please see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5de1e611-247d-48a4-b931-f39c6a2df058/verify-your-account-3

I miss the ipconfig information from the other server. You can also mark in the command prompt and paste the output here, it is really important to see the basic informations COMPLETE.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Thank you for your help, but I was able to figure out the problem. When I upgraded the AD DS was trying to talk to the old AD DS that was still showing under the windows.old file. Even though you delete it it was not completely gone. What I had to do was do a clean wipe of the hard drives and reinstall again. With there being no other files on the server the AD DS was able to make a clean install as well and not be corrupted during the promote process.
    • Marked as answer by naxfo385 Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:16 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:16 AM