none
Using a Scatter/Bubble Chart

Question

• Hi all,

As is often the case, I have what seems like a simply thing to chart, but I am having troubles getting the SSRS/SSDT (2012) BubbleChart to do what I want.

My query data contains rather basic information every record has a 2 "scores" from 0 to 10:

ID, Score1, Score2
    1, 3, 4
    2, 3, 8
    3, 8, 1
    4, 3, 4
    5, 3, 4
    6, 3, 8
    7, 0, 2
    8, 10, 9

What I am striving to achieve is:

- Score1 across the X Axis
    - Score2 up the Y Axis
    - The "bubble" on the chart representing the number of records plotted at the intersection. For example:

• The intersection 3x & 4y there should be 3 records (1, 4 & 5).  The bubble should be sized accordingly and the data label stating "3".
    • The intersection 8x & 1y there should be 1 records (3).  The bubble should be sized/labelled accordingly.

Any help on how I need to set this up?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:22 AM

Answers

• Looks like you will have to modify your query a bit. A simple group by (if you are using sql as your query language) will convert this into 

3, 4, 3
    2, 3, 1
    8, 1, 1
    3, 8, 1
    0, 2, 1
    10, 9, 1

where count is the third column. Now you can make the bubble chart with Score 1 on x, Score 2 on Y and count for the bubble size.

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

From your description, I afraid this cannot be done in Scatter charts (Scatter chart, Bubble Chart) provided by Reporting Services.

However, if you use SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services working with SharePoint 2010 or 2013, this can be done in Power View report which is a feature of SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services Add-in for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise Edition. It provides intuitive ad-hoc reporting for business users such as data analysts, business decision makers, and information workers. They can easily create and interact with views of data from data models based on PowerPivot workbooks published in a PowerPivot Gallery, or tabular models deployed to SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services (SSAS) instances. Power View is a browser-based Silverlight application launched from SharePoint Server 2010 that enables users to present and share insights with others in their organization through interactive presentations.

Reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh213579.aspx

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:30 AM
  • Looks like you will have to modify your query a bit. A simple group by (if you are using sql as your query language) will convert this into 

3, 4, 3
    2, 3, 1
    8, 1, 1
    3, 8, 1
    0, 2, 1
    10, 9, 1

where count is the third column. Now you can make the bubble chart with Score 1 on x, Score 2 on Y and count for the bubble size.

Cheers,
    Jason | www.SqlJason.com
    P.S. : Please click the 'Mark as Answer' button if a post solves your problem! :)

Some Random Thoughts

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:07 PM