none
Using USMT 5.0 in MDT 2012 Update 1

Question

• I am trying to find out some information about how to set up the USMT in a Task Sequence in MDT 2012 U1. I see a lot of documentation about using USMT with SCCM, but I am not using SCCM. I've also seen several posts on here asking the same questions, with no answers, but those posts are over a year old, so I'm hoping to have a little better luck.

I think I have all the info I need about how to configure the cs.ini, but nothing about the steps in the Task Sequence.

What I want to do is PXE Boot the computer, copy the user data (a particular user account only if possible) to a network share, wipe the HDD and reimage, install apps and pull the user data back down. It sounds simple enough.

Right now we are using Windows 7 x64, but may eventually move to Windows 8, which is why I need to use USMT 5.0. I have USMT 5 extracted and placed in the Tools\amd64\USMT folder. I have not configured the cs.ini yet, but will be doing that today.

If anyone has any suggestions or links to websites, I would really appreciate it.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 11:01 AM

All replies

• the steps in your default 'standard deployment'task sequence are already on for use of USMT. However they will only execute if certain settings are set into your customsettings.ini.

Give it a try, if your provide the following info into your customsettings.ini:

SkipUserData=YES
    UserDataLocation=\\server01.contoso.local\deploymentshare$\USMTdata

Then userdata will automatically be captured based on the Config.XML and other XML's that reside in your USMT folder. Basically it back-up's all content in the %userprofile% folder and all other folder's that are created on your C:\ drive that are not default Windows folder's like C:\Windows; C:\Users; C:\Program Files (x86) etc. etc.

If you want to customize which settings and files are transferred with USMT or want to use hardlinks you need to customize your customsettings.ini with USMT arguments, you can read in this thread USMT4 ScanState Arguments in CustomSettings.ini and modify the xml files.

Good luck!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Use the Windows 8 ADK.  You then really don't have to work about extracting the USMT 5 stuff since it will be populated when you create the deployment share.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 5:16 PM
  • I am using the Windows ADK with MDT 2012 Update 1. As for the Standard Task Sequence, I initially disabled all of the State Capture steps because we weren't using them. Now, I enabled most of them, but now it seems that it is being skipped every time. Here is what I have in the cs.ini. I also put a window capture of the Task Sequence steps that I am currently using below.

[Settings]
    Priority=TaskSequenceID,ByModel,Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    _SMSTSOrgName=DO NOT TURN OFF!
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
    DomainAdminDomain=domain.test.test
    DomainAdmin=user
    DomainAdminPassword=password
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
    HideShell=NO
    JoinDomain=domain.test.test
    KeyboardLocale=en-US
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipApplications=NO
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipCapture=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipComputerName=NO
    SkipDeploymentType=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipPackageDisplay=NO
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipSummary=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    ScanStateArgs=/ue:*\* /ui:tsc\* /v:13 /o /c
    LoadStateArgs=/v:13 /c /lac
    UserDataLocation=Network
    UDShare=\\tsc116\USMTData$
    UDDir=%OSDComputerName%
    USMTOfflineMigration=TRUE
    USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=MigUser.xml
    TimeZone=035
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    UserLocale=en-US
    UILanguage=en-US
    WSUSServer=http://server
    FinishAction=Shutdown

I've also tried DeploymentType=REFRESH and commenting out the ScanState, LoadState, USMTMigFiles lines. I then moved the Generation Application Migration Files, Capture User Data and Capture Groups from the State Capture step to the beginning of the PreInstall step. Now, it starts processing the Capture User Data step, but then errors out with "Architecture of original Operating System can not be determined." For some reason, the C: drive is being changed to an X: drive and the ZTIUserState.wsf script is looking at the C: drive, which has next to nothing on it.

I can't find any examples of what I am trying to do, so I am just trying anything and everything I can and see what happens.

• Edited by mtarggart Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:07 PM text edit
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Change:

UserDataLocation=Network

to:

UserDataLocation=%UDShare%\%UDDir%

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Thursday, May 09, 2013 9:35 PM
  • I figured out what my problem was. When looking at the DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml file, I noticed that in order to get the pane to show, one of the conditions was that a TS step named "Offline User Data Capture" needed to exist. Because this step didn't exist, the pane would never show.

But, after seeing how and what was saved, decided to go a different way and am trying out a custom pane with a specific custom script. I'm just having trouble getting the script to run. To follow that, here is the link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/cf4c1d44-f256-458f-a4cc-37e12c0a0723/

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:51 AM