none
MDT, Sysprep and unattend.xml

Question

• From what I can see by examining the scripts and the execution of MDT2012, when it syspreps down, it does not execute against an unattend.xml.

From what I can see is that MDT2012 is only intended to parse an unattend.xml and process it whenever an image is deployed via MDT, but not when one is Syspreped and captured...

Please let me know if that is the case..

Thanks.

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• From what I can see by examining the scripts and the execution of MDT2012, when it syspreps down, it does not execute against an unattend.xml.

From what I can see is that MDT2012 is only intended to parse an unattend.xml and process it whenever an image is deployed via MDT, but not when one is Syspreped and captured...

Please let me know if that is the case..

Thanks.

That's been my experience from what I can tell, yes.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 1:37 PM
  • What would you want to do during the sysprep phase? Under XP you'd need a sysprep.inf because of XP being terrible with mass storage. Since Vista came along things have become incredibly easy and mass storage is taken care of completely at deploy time with no need to pre-stage the drivers.

So it's not really MDT itself that's doing this, it's just how Windows works in the days following Vista.

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Here's when the unattend settings are applied:

Windows XP/Server 2003 - during capture (when the unattend settings are applied).

Windows Vista/Server 2008 and above - during deployment.

Monday, June 25, 2012 2:30 PM
  • The only time I needed to edit the unattend.xml pre-sysprep was when I needed to copy a profile over. Other than that, I don't recommend making many changes to it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:55 PM