none
SharePoint 2013 Managed Metadata Service The Managed Metadata Service or Connectuion is currently not available.

Question

• Last week when I installed the June 2013 CU the Managed Metadata Service stopped working

This is a development server with Windows 2008R2, and SQL Server 2012 running on the same server.

The error in Event Viewer is:

EventID 8088: The Managed Metadata Service 'Managed Metadata Service' is inaccessible.

This is the ULS error I get when I start and stop the service:

WcfSendRequest: RemoteAddress: 'http://sp2013:32843/14cc2dd687054f86b083543966218ae9/MetadataWebService.svc' Channel: 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.IMetadataWebServiceApplication' Action: 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/taxonomy/soap/IDataAccessReadOnly/GetChangeTime' MessageId: 'urn:uuid:0337e246-1f5b-49ed-b58e-2ae98cf2b47c'

Exception returned from back end service. System.ServiceModel.ServerTooBusyException: The HTTP service located
     at http://sp2013:32843/14cc2dd687054f86b083543966218ae9/MetadataWebService.svc is unavailable.  This could be because the service is too busy or because no endpoint was found listening
     at the specified address. Please ensure that the address is correct and try accessing the service again later. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.    
     at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)     -
     -- End of inner exception stack trace ---    Server stack trace:     
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelFactory`1.SecurityRequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)    
     at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)    Exception rethrown
     at [0]:     
     at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)    
     at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.Internal.IDataAccessReadOnly.GetChangeTime(Guid rawPartitionId, Nullable`1 groupGuid, Nullable`1 termSetGuid)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.Internal.TaxonomyProxyAccess.<>c__DisplayClass34.<GetChangeTime>b__33(IMetadataWebServiceApplication serviceApplication)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.MetadataWebServiceApplicationProxy.<>c__DisplayClass2f.<RunOnChannel>b__2d()

When I browse to http://sp2013:32843/14cc2dd687054f86b083543966218ae9/MetadataWebService.svc though I am able to see the Service page.

I went through all of the technet solutions I could find.

I have deleted the service and recreated it.

I have tried changing the permissions for the application pool account.

I changed the account that runs the application pool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:02 PM

Answers

• I worked with MS Support, and they were unable to find a real solution to the problem. Basically they repeated all of the steps that were provided here and in the other forum posts that were suggested.

After that they just suggested creating a new Managed Metadata Service Application, proxy and database, since I didn't have much data in the database.

The new one that was created worked without any problems, so even though it's not really a solution, my issue is resolved.

Also, I have found that two other SharePoint servers that we manage for clients have the same issue. It started occurring after the June CU was installed. If anyone else has this issue and finds a solution I would love to know.  Thanks for all help provided.

• Proposed as answer by Aries - MSFT Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by LukeMcC Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:52 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards.

Kelly Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hi LukeMcC,

usually when i change the password, i use the updatefarmcredentials command shell, to make sure the user account works.

please have a check this steps:

1. re-flush your cache.ini, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939308?wa=wsignin1.0

2. re-provision all the service using the username that you select, usually service account

3. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff383250.aspx

4http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/c7a4d2de-a4e3-4092-b153-229aa89ebfc4/metadatawebservicesvc-cannot-be-activated-due-to-an-exception-during-compilation-the-exception

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Hi Luke,

Check application pool which is responsible for processing MMS and also verify the application pool account permissions.

Regards,

Senthil

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Aries,

Thank you for your help. I went through each step, but I am still getting the same result.

Luke

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Hi Luke,

seems if you already create new metadata and still not in a good progress, perhaps you may need to delete and recreate it. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee530392.aspx

perhaps we need the trace log to know more detail about that,

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/c7a4d2de-a4e3-4092-b153-229aa89ebfc4/metadatawebservicesvc-cannot-be-activated-due-to-an-exception-during-compilation-the-exception

Regards,
    Aries

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:14 AM
  • I followed the link to delete and recreate the service application. I am still having the same issue.

I used Process Monitor to get a trace log of what occurs when I try and access the Managed Metadata Term Store. If you would like a log of something different, let me know and I will get that.

Also, how should I upload the trace log?

Monday, July 15, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Hi Luke,

thanks for the reply,

your issue is really a quite unique, i do have last steps that i am able to think of regarding this, and perhaps you able to help to check this out,

open your IIS manager, then select the application pool that have the metadata webservice application.

you can open this and right click on the application pools list then view applications.

if you found that, please select advance settings on the application pool, and make sure that the identity is correct.

as we dont have a case workspace for your logs, perhaps you can share it using your skydrive, or you can open an incident case to us, so that we may have better support for you, including the remote session, and you may submit the logs to us, so we can check it out throughfully.

Regards,
    Aries

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:22 AM
  • Aries,

The below link has the Logfile.csv.

Let me know if you see anything that stands out.

http://sdrv.ms/12tOCeX

Thank you,

Luke

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Hi Luke,

i checked the logs, but what i found most of them, at your environment seems got performance issue.

most of the issue based on the logs, are tegistry issue, that stated : name of server not found, and access: maximum allowed.

i am not quite sure if there were customizations on registry before on your environment.

regarding this issue, i think its better for you to open a case if needed, so we may check and compare with defaults environment, and we may also have the dump logs of the all thread to know which thread is not responding.

i do believe there is a process that using the service resource but then it never get released after use, or it may be a memory leak.

Regards,
    Aries

Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:21 AM
  • Thank you for all your help Aries. I have opened a ticket with MS and will reply when they are able to come up with a solution.

Luke

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:06 PM
  • I worked with MS Support, and they were unable to find a real solution to the problem. Basically they repeated all of the steps that were provided here and in the other forum posts that were suggested.

After that they just suggested creating a new Managed Metadata Service Application, proxy and database, since I didn't have much data in the database.

The new one that was created worked without any problems, so even though it's not really a solution, my issue is resolved.

Also, I have found that two other SharePoint servers that we manage for clients have the same issue. It started occurring after the June CU was installed. If anyone else has this issue and finds a solution I would love to know.  Thanks for all help provided.

• Proposed as answer by Aries - MSFT Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by LukeMcC Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:52 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Please make sure the application pool account has sufficient permissions to the term store use the following steps:

1. Verify that the user account that is performing this procedure is a member of the Farm Administrators group.
    2. On the Central Administration Home page, click Application Management.
    3. On the Application Management page, in the Service Applications section, click Manage service applications.
    4. On the Service Applications page, in the Type column, click the managed metadata service application, and then click Properties.
    5. In the Create New Managed Metadata Service dialog box, in the Application Pool section, record the name of the application pool.
    6. Click Cancel.
    7. Select Security from the left hand menu and click Configure Service Accounts.
    8. Select the application pool from the drop down, take note of the application pool account and click Cancel
    9. Log on as a member of the local Administrators group.
    10. In Central Administration, on the Service Applications page, in the Type column, click the managed metadata service application, and then click Permissions.
    11. Confirm that the account that you recorded in step 8 has one of the following permissions:
      * Read Access to Term Store 
      * Read and Restricted Write Access to Term Store 
      * Full Access to Term Store

Tarek Yehia

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Tarek,

Thank you for the reply. These are all steps I followed before opening a support ticket, and then while working with Microsoft support. I was not able to resolve my problem by following the above steps.

Luke

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hello everyone,

just to prove that you're not alone: I also have had my managed metadata database break after installing a CU, I think the June 2013 CU. It worked correctly before, it did not work afterwards. Delete and recreate service application with the same database > same error. Had to delete the service application and the database and restart from scratch.

This happened on 2 different VMs, and both are the only ones I used, so it's 100% failure rate for me. German language pack was installed, but the term store did not have the secondary language enabled.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Found similar problem after applying December 2013 cumulative update. Settings were ok, connection to managed metadata service was restored when application pool account (or wss_admin_wpg group) was added to have read permissiosn to registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\.

• Edited by SimonAb Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Have you tried Clicking on the Managed Metadata Service application that is reporting the error, and when the "Term Store Management Tool" displays on your screen, Verify that the "Term Store Administrators" are correct. It should not only have your farm admin account in there, but anyone else you might have used as the app pool account or some people actually put in a specific account just for the term store. I noticed that for whatever reason this was incorrect and I had to add in the proper accounts again.

Friday, April 11, 2014 4:03 PM
  • I encountered a similar situation after applying SP2013 SP1 but was unable to delete the existing Managed Metadata Service App or provision a new one as the request always timed out. Here is the solution I found in case anyone else is interested:

1. Stop the Managed Metadata Service in Central Admin (this seems to be locking the DB as shown in SQL Server Activity Monitor)

2. Delete  the old Managed Metadata Service Application (either via central admin or powershell)

3. Provision a new Managed Metadata Service Application (either via central admin or powershell)

4. Start the Managed Metadata Service in Central Admin.

5. Perform an iisreset (didn't seem to work without this).

Hope this helps someone as I wasted hours on this before I worked out this rather simple sequence!

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:25 AM