none
Updating ADMX files for Group Policy for Windows 7 IE 9 / 10

Question

• Hi everyone, this has probably been asked before so please excuse the question again. I'm looking to update my ADMX files for group policy to handle the latest browser. My domain is in 2003 mode with both 2003 and 2008 domain controllers. I am using central store at the moment because I have R2 Terminal servers that I apply policies to. I also have a full windows xp environment so I don't want to cause a problem upgrading obviously.

If memory serves me right even if I upgrade the ADMX files in the central store, Win2003 / XP will ignore it since it uses ADM files? I just want to be sure before I do this. Will the ADMX pack for Internet Explorer 10 have backward compatible for 8 and 9 on 2008 R2 and Windows 7 ? I'm getting ready to test out a Windows 7 Image so I want to have everything in place. In my PolicyDefinitions folder I have a 'INETRES.ADMX' from 6/10/2009

• Edited by Mike_Kubi Friday, September 06, 2013 6:35 PM
    Friday, September 06, 2013 6:34 PM

Answers

• That is correct. The central store is really only used to display to you what Group Policy settings are available. Every client has a local copy of the ADMX settings.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: DeployHappiness. Subscribe by RSS or email. 

Friday, September 06, 2013 7:06 PM
  • when WinVista and ADMX was introduced, that's when c:\windows\policydefinitions was introduced.
    that folder is the default location for ADMX templates, and is used when a central store is not implemented.

be aware that the latest inetres.admx is for IE10, and IE10 is subject to a number of changes which affect GPO, particularly the deprecation of IEM.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:54 AM
  • this has probably been asked before

Yes, this has been asked before. And not only once...

If memory serves me right even if I upgrade the ADMX files in the central store, Win2003 / XP will ignore it since it uses ADM files?

XP/2003 will totally ignore ADMX. Both rely on ADM which are found in %Windir%\Inf or (for existinig GPOs) in the GPO's sysvol "ADM" folder.

Will the ADMX pack for Internet Explorer 10 have backward compatible for 8 and 9 on 2008 R2 and Windows 7 ?

Yes, it will.

'INETRES.ADMX' from 6/10/2009

The latest version of all ADMX files can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36991

They are backwards compatible and can be used even for GPOs targeting XP/2003. And you can safely overwrite the local PolicyDefinitions folder or your central store - GPEdit will be happy using the newer files.

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:19 AM
  • That's the "safe" way, so you never will use a setting XP doesn't support. But it can be done on a Win8 computer as well as long as you take care to read the "supported on" section for a setting.

Martin

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:06 AM

All replies

• That is correct. The central store is really only used to display to you what Group Policy settings are available. Every client has a local copy of the ADMX settings.

If my answer helped you, check out my blog: DeployHappiness. Subscribe by RSS or email. 

Friday, September 06, 2013 7:06 PM
  • what does the local copy do on the machine? I saw on a windows 7/R2 box that it has a folder C:\windows\policydefinitions

Can I just overwrite the INTRES.ADMX with the latest version out there? Hopefully backward compatible ?

Friday, September 06, 2013 8:06 PM
  • when WinVista and ADMX was introduced, that's when c:\windows\policydefinitions was introduced.
    that folder is the default location for ADMX templates, and is used when a central store is not implemented.

be aware that the latest inetres.admx is for IE10, and IE10 is subject to a number of changes which affect GPO, particularly the deprecation of IEM.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 09, 2013 7:53 AM
  • No update yet just started reading all of this and absorbing it in. I'll let you guys know

thanks

Edit ok I get what they are saying now, however what will happen to the management of my XP machines if I update the central store ? Should I just keep the machine that I'm managing from on Internet explorer 8 that way I can manage old and new stuff ?

I should also mention I have windows 2003 server's as well, would that also leave me a place to manage my windows xp GP for internet explorer 8?
    • Edited by Mike_Kubi Monday, September 09, 2013 5:35 PM
    Monday, September 09, 2013 1:56 PM
  • anyone?
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:04 PM
  • this has probably been asked before

Yes, this has been asked before. And not only once...

If memory serves me right even if I upgrade the ADMX files in the central store, Win2003 / XP will ignore it since it uses ADM files?

XP/2003 will totally ignore ADMX. Both rely on ADM which are found in %Windir%\Inf or (for existinig GPOs) in the GPO's sysvol "ADM" folder.

Will the ADMX pack for Internet Explorer 10 have backward compatible for 8 and 9 on 2008 R2 and Windows 7 ?

Yes, it will.

'INETRES.ADMX' from 6/10/2009

The latest version of all ADMX files can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36991

They are backwards compatible and can be used even for GPOs targeting XP/2003. And you can safely overwrite the local PolicyDefinitions folder or your central store - GPEdit will be happy using the newer files.

Martin

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Thanks, so I would have to manage my policies for XP/2003 from a 2003 server correct ?
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:02 PM
  • That's the "safe" way, so you never will use a setting XP doesn't support. But it can be done on a Win8 computer as well as long as you take care to read the "supported on" section for a setting.

Martin

Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:06 AM