none
MDT 2012 - Update Deploymentshare: Unable to open the specified WIM file

Question

• Hi @ all

wie have updated our Litetouch boot image using DISM and know we try to update the deploymentshare but we get the following error.  

=== Making sure the deployment share has the latest x86 tools ===

=== Processing LiteTouchPE (x86) boot image ===

Building requested boot image profile.

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.Exception: Unable to open the specified WIM file. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.BDD.Core.BDDWimFile..ctor(String wimPath, Boolean forUpdate)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.UpdateBootImage(String template, String platform, String dpPath, Boolean createISO, String isoName)
       at Microsoft.BDD.PSSnapIn.UpdateDeploymentPoint.ProcessRecord()
       at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeHelper()
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalPipeline.InvokeThreadProc()

Unable to open the specified WIM file? The image ist is stil in the boot folder.

Anybody an idea or an solution for that problem?

Thank's

Adrian

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:49 PM

Answers

• I believe that MDT uses the wim image from the WAIK install path, is the original WIM still in the folder ?

ultimately I would suggest to delete you wim file, uninstall/reinstall WAIK, reboot :) and try again

David Sebban | Nelite North America

• Marked as answer by A_Sputnik Monday, July 23, 2012 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

try to launch imagex /mount to see if the WIM is already mounted somewhere, then unmount it and retry

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Hi

we have mouted the WIM with Imagex without an error, so the WIM should not be ins use by some other process.

Is there any log file wich can help to troubleshoot the problem?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:33 AM
  • I believe that MDT uses the wim image from the WAIK install path, is the original WIM still in the folder ?

ultimately I would suggest to delete you wim file, uninstall/reinstall WAIK, reboot :) and try again

• Marked as answer by A_Sputnik Monday, July 23, 2012 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:24 PM
  • I have seen this issue also.  Rebooting seemed to resolve it for us.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:46 PM
  • reinstall & reboot solved the issue.

Thank's for help.

Monday, July 23, 2012 1:49 PM
  • I had installed ADK to utilize the latest and greatest DISM tool. That broke WAIK and the boot.wim could not be found when updating the deployment shares. Thanks for the pointer...

Paul Prindle MCP, A+

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:01 PM
  • I recently upgraded MDT 2010 to 2012 and installed ADK.  When i tried to update the deployment share I received the same error as A_Sputnik.  I reinstalled WAIK and rebooted but received the same error.  I then uninstalled ADK and now its updating the deployment share.  How do I get this to work with ADK installed?
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:15 PM
  • I had installed ADK to utilize the latest and greatest DISM tool. That broke WAIK and the boot.wim could not be found when updating the deployment shares. Thanks for the pointer...

Paul Prindle MCP, A+

That is because WAIK and ADK are unsupported as side-by-side installations.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:41 PM
  • This also happens when wim file is currupted.

Regards, Shishir Kushawaha "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Same issue here,

in which file-location could be a corrupt .wim?

Thx

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:52 PM
  • I found I received this error when attempting to use a 64-bit technician station to update the deployment share. After installing MDT 2012 Update 1 x86 and WAIK for Windows 7 with the SP1 Supplements included, I was able to update the deployment share from a 32-bit technician station.
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 2:34 PM