none
SBS2003 to SBS2011 Migration Exchange Public Folder ERROR

Question

• Hello,

For the first time I have been trying to migrate SBS2003 to SBS2011.  I ran through the procedures produced by Microsoft http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg563801.aspx.  However I am now stuck on this part of the migration regarding the moving of the public folder http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg563803.aspx

When it came to moving the server public profiles by right clicking on the public folder store on the old server and clicking on Move All Replicas I get the following error;

HTTP error 405 - ID no: c1030af4

Our old server is called EDC-FS and our new server is called EDC-FS2.  I also noticed that in the status section of the old exchange server it does not show the new server EDC-FS2 as reachable.  Could this be the reason for the error?

Please help me as I have untill August 10th 2012 before the old server switches off.  I have tried various patches and stuff that I have found by doing google searches but none have worked.  I can't remember what I've tried though so open to anything you guys may suggest.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Vibha,

Since my last post I carried on researching an answer for my problem.  I am pleased to say my issue is resolved.  I solve the issue I did the following;

1. Go to the new server / Start / All Programs / Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 / Exchange Management Shell
    2. First you need to make sure you are in the right directory so type the following including the inverted commas.
    3. CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V14\Scripts"
    4. Then enter the following;
    5. .\MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server PutYourOldServerNameHere -NewServer PutYourNewServerNameHere
    6. This took take around 4 hours for the 200MB of data that I had on my public folder so be prepared to wait.
    7. To verify that all public folders have been moved to the Destination Server
    8. In the Source Server (old server) open Exchange System Manager, expand First Administrative Group, expand Servers, expand ServerName, expand First Storage Group, and then expand Public Folder Store (old server name).
    9. Click the Public Folder Instances node. After all of the public folder replicas have been moved, the Public Folder Instances node will be empty.

Hope this helps others who face the same issue when migrating SBS2003 to SBS2011 and get the HTTP error 405 - ID no: c1030af4

Aria.

P.S. Hitting "Submit" on Firefox didn't work for me so I've had to go on the mission of resetting my password so that I could log in through Internet Explorer so that I could post a reply.  I HATE it when things don't work.  Do you guys not test things out before rolling them out?  Sort it out if the relevent person is reading this!

• Marked as answer by Aria3 Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:35 AM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:35 AM

All replies

• If you open the registry and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ DataAccess \ FullInstallVersion

what is the value there?

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi Vibha,

Since my last post I carried on researching an answer for my problem.  I am pleased to say my issue is resolved.  I solve the issue I did the following;

1. Go to the new server / Start / All Programs / Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 / Exchange Management Shell
    2. First you need to make sure you are in the right directory so type the following including the inverted commas.
    3. CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V14\Scripts"
    4. Then enter the following;
    5. .\MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server PutYourOldServerNameHere -NewServer PutYourNewServerNameHere
    6. This took take around 4 hours for the 200MB of data that I had on my public folder so be prepared to wait.
    7. To verify that all public folders have been moved to the Destination Server
    8. In the Source Server (old server) open Exchange System Manager, expand First Administrative Group, expand Servers, expand ServerName, expand First Storage Group, and then expand Public Folder Store (old server name).
    9. Click the Public Folder Instances node. After all of the public folder replicas have been moved, the Public Folder Instances node will be empty.

Hope this helps others who face the same issue when migrating SBS2003 to SBS2011 and get the HTTP error 405 - ID no: c1030af4

Aria.

P.S. Hitting "Submit" on Firefox didn't work for me so I've had to go on the mission of resetting my password so that I could log in through Internet Explorer so that I could post a reply.  I HATE it when things don't work.  Do you guys not test things out before rolling them out?  Sort it out if the relevent person is reading this!

• Marked as answer by Aria3 Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:35 AM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

I’m so glad to know that the issue got fixed in the end. And I really appreciate your sharing and marking. I believe other guys will get benefit a lot from your resolution.

At the same time, there is a link for your reference about the public folder migration:

Title: How to Move Public Folder from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010
    URL: http://blogs.technet.com/b/agobbi/archive/2010/08/04/how-to-move-public-folder-from-exchange-2003-to-exchagne-2010.aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Hi Aria,

I'm glad that there are people like you on earth that spend time to describe solutions to problems which really should have been done by Microsoft.

I'm trying to migrate a SBS 2003 server to SBS 2011, and I'm following the instructions pointed out by the migration tool on the 2011 SBS DVD (http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/library/gg563801.aspx). But I got stuck on the "Move All Replicas" command when moving public folders as Public Folder Instances didn't empty and I got event ID 1030 in the event log:

<user email address> failed an operation on folder /O=ABA|SEGUROS/OU=SITEASMTY/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=<common name> GANA84227F664B043703027A7EBC960DD96500233B on database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (<server name>)" because the user did not have the following access rights:

"Delete" "Read Property" "Write Property" "Create Message" "View Item" "Create Subfolder" "Write Security Descriptor" "Write Owner" "Read Security Descriptor" "Contact"

There are obviously a ton of people out there who's run into this problem and there are numerous suggestion to how to fix it, but none of them worked for me (panic was not far away after 48 hours of intense testing with no visible result). Then finally I found your post, and even if it took 8 (!!!!) hours before all the folders (18 with 300k data) had disappeared from Public Folder Instances , I'm now finally done with this step.

But what really makes me irritated is that your solution obviously is known to Microsoft.

Guys, why don't you update the doc pointed to by the migration tool so that end users doesn't have to spend hours and hours trying to figure out how the migration really should have been done ?

And just for you information, now when I try "To migrate Exchange Server 2003 mailboxes" according to the instructions this also fails. So I'm just hoping that I'll find some other post which describes how this really should have been done. So I can just agree with Aria "Do you guys not test things out before rolling them out?  Sort it out if the relevent person is reading this!"

MWeb

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Thanks MWebjorn, I'm glad that the instructions helped someone else who faced the same problem and I know the frustration of being stuck on this issue for many many hours.  I think I got a grey hair that day!

Just a note to anyone else, on my third point (CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V14\Scripts") the scripts may be in a slightly different directory so it may be CD "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\Scripts" without the \V14 part

Aria

www.auroraits.co.uk

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:08 AM