none
Remotely managing Scheduled Tasks on a server without local administrator with taskschd.msc

Question

• Quick overview:

1.) We have a Windows 2008 R2 server with scheduled tasks that are set to run as an administrative user.  The task work without error.

2.) We have a non administrative user who needs to be able to open taskschd.msc on their Windows 7 workstation and remotely connect to the server and run the existing scheduled tasks.

3.) From other post I have found the information needed to grant the non administrative user access to c:\windows\tasks using command line tool CACLS (since there isnt a security tab on the properties of the tasks folder. 

In addition, I have granted the non administrator Modify, Read & Execute, Read, and Write permissions from the security tab of the scheduled task.  These posts were helpful and this DOES work in granting the user permission to scheduled tasks if the user RDPs to the server; before these steps were taken, the user could not run scheduled tasks from an RDP session.

The problem is with the users ability to connect to the servers scheduled tasks via taskschd.msc (or schtasks from the command line; schtasks /run /s <servername> /TN <taskname>) from their Windows 7 workstation.  When trying to do so the non server administrative user receives "You do not have permissions to access this computer" from taskschd.msc or "ERROR: Access is denied" from schtasks from the command line. 

In addition to giving the user access and the ability to run the scheduled task on the server without giving them local administrator, what else is needed to allow the user to open taskschd.msc or schtasks from their workstation and connect to the servers scheduled tasks?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Edited by BeaconMRat Friday, January 03, 2014 1:21 PM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 10:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Here sorry to inform you that as per following article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725744(WS.10).aspx; to schedule, view, or change a task on a remote computer, you must be member of the Administrators group on the remote computer means must have administrative privilege on remote computer. 

Apart you can use, the/u parameter in a /create or /change operation only when the local and remote computers are in the same domain or the local computer is in a domain that the remote computer domain trust. Otherwise, the remote computer cannot authenticate the user account specified and it cannot verify that the account is a member of the Administrators group. 

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.
    Monday, January 06, 2014 3:06 AM
  • That obviously does not help.  I understand that natively it isn't possible hints the reason for my question regarding customizing the permissions to make this possible. As stated in my original post, I have already overcame the challenge of accessing the scheduled tasks as a non administrative user.  The remaining question more involves the use of taskschd.msc or schtasks remotely and the permissions necessary to connect to the remote computer.
    • Edited by BeaconMRat Monday, January 06, 2014 1:39 PM
    Monday, January 06, 2014 1:36 PM
  • You can give your non administrative users rights to manage scheduled tasks on any Windows machine using a web browser with System Frontier.

They won't need any admin rights and can, for example, be logged into a Windows 7 machine while starting or stopping a task on Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2003, all using the same interface. You can even delegate rights to manage specific tasks by name, using wildcards.

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:03 AM