none
Convert Datatypes in SSIS, Possible ?

Question

• i am currently having some difficulties trying converting a Unicode character string (DT_WSTR) into an INT

this is what i have

(Note most writings are in German, but i think someone who has worked with SSIS will unterstand anyways)

(Data Type selected: A four-byte, unsigned integer.)

but all it does is fail terribly

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 4:16 PM

Answers

• What is the error message you are getting. Meanwhile, below are my 2 cents

• Does your column ReiseID contains characters or special characters too? if that is true, then conversion will obviously fail.
    • Does ReiseID contains non negative values like -123? if yes, the use "four byte signed integer".
    • Double click on DataType Conversion task and click on "Configure Error Output", change truncation to "Ignore failure" & then run your package. If your package runs successful than it means that you have a data truncation error.

Above are few points that just came to my mind. there can be other reasons too which will be clear when you will post the error description.

Hope this will help

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:58 PM

All replies

• What's the error message you're getting? If your character data cannot be converted to an INT then the conversion will fail.
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 4:23 PM
  • What is the error message you are getting. Meanwhile, below are my 2 cents

• Does your column ReiseID contains characters or special characters too? if that is true, then conversion will obviously fail.
    • Does ReiseID contains non negative values like -123? if yes, the use "four byte signed integer".
    • Double click on DataType Conversion task and click on "Configure Error Output", change truncation to "Ignore failure" & then run your package. If your package runs successful than it means that you have a data truncation error.

Above are few points that just came to my mind. there can be other reasons too which will be clear when you will post the error description.

Hope this will help

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for trying to help

Saturday, November 09, 2013 5:47 PM