none
Server 2012 sysvol broken, req easy fix

Question

• Hi

I have 2 server 2012 domain controllers DC01 & DC02 AD replication between them works fine accept for sysvol folder they did initially sync but for some strange reason has stopped, I have reserched online to find a solution but its seem this is a potential "land mine" to repair, I have pretty much determined the problem is on my DC02 box as i also setup a test only DC03 box this week and AD replication including sysvol works great between it and DC01.

I just want to find the easiest solution to fix my broken DC i don't want to spend hours performing complex repair procedures from information found in online posts that may not even be related to my problem, there is so much confusing information out there in posts on this topic, half of which are related older server OS's like server 2008, im thinking there must be an easier way that i can maybe just remove/delete/demote/recreate/repromote or similar my damaged DC02 box without upsetting AD ?

Some simple easy to follow assistance would be much appreciated 

Cheers :)

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The diagnosis would take hours of examining the data. It may be simple fix or may be complex root cause analysis, without data , it would be hard to estimate time.

Please run dcdiag /v and paste the output .

Also paste any event id error information.

You wouldn't upset the domain controller , provided the DC is only the single source of communication to your clients / apps . In that case you can safely bring additional domain controller , migrate the roles , point the clients to new DNS server and demote the dc2. but if there are any applications with hardcoded Domain controller IP address, you might need to change them.

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:31 AM

All replies