none
SharePoint 2013 Permissions on List Views

Question

• Is there a way in SharePoint 2013 to restrict the permissions on a list using different views.

For example, I have two views on a list; View A and View B. View A is the 'Public' view and I would like everyone to see this. View B is an 'Internal' view and includes items that I do not want everyone to see.

The views I have setup are driven by a boolean attribute in each item/document in the list.

Is there a way to set permissions for everyone to see what is in View A and only a few to be able to see View B?

There are lots of answers on TN and around the web for this, however they all relate to older versions of SharePoint.

Thank you in advance, David.

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:05 AM

Answers

• You cannot set permission to views. You can divide your items between folders and assign permissions per folder. You can define worlflow or policy to route document to folder deopend on its attributes.

Tarek Yehia

• Marked as answer by David M Potter Monday, November 18, 2013 4:41 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 1:04 PM

All replies

• No, you can't assign permissions on views.

Kind regards,
    Margriet Bruggeman

Lois & Clark IT Services
    web site: http://www.loisandclark.eu
    blog: http://www.sharepointdragons.com

Monday, October 14, 2013 11:53 AM
  • You cannot set permission to views. You can divide your items between folders and assign permissions per folder. You can define worlflow or policy to route document to folder deopend on its attributes.

Tarek Yehia

• Marked as answer by David M Potter Monday, November 18, 2013 4:41 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 1:04 PM
  • I've set the attributes on the folders too, so that may be a potential way around.

Can I set the permissions on the settings for a user group to look at specific folder attributes or will I need to set the permissions for each folder?

I am trying to make this as easy as possible for the end users, if it was just myself maintaining this site it would be fine to set the permissions for each folder.

There is plenty of call for permissions to be set on views, perhaps Microsoft should be factoring this in when they release future versions of SharePoint.

Thank you all for your help.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Another possible way is create 2 separate pages. Assign a specific view for each page and then set permissions on each.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:20 PM