none
Server 2012 Won't install RD Session Host

Question

• Very frusterated trying to install RDS on a brand new installation of Server 2012 Standard.  A fairly simple and straightforward powershell command (after failing the GUI with the same results) of "Add-WindowsFeature –Name RDS-RD-Server –IncludeAllSubFeature -Reboot" goes through the preliminary steps and then restarts - gets to 64% of "configuring windows features, do not turn off" and does a second reboots touting the message "preparing to configure windows" and then counts to 64% again and the message "failure configuring windows updated reverting changes". pops up which it promptly does returning me to a machine that has RDP access for remote administration only.  I'm really not seeing anything related in the Application, System or Setup log files.  There is nothing special about this system.  It is not a DC nor does it have any other roles and services.  This was the first and only role I installed after a brand new setup and it failed.  It is, a virtual server running on a 2008R2 Hyper-V host but that shouldn't be a problem.  Any thoughts?

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:25 AM

Answers

• Oops.  Sorry, my bad.  I was working with some other MS Software at the same time.  SP-1 stuck in the brain.  The ISO is SW_DVD5_Win_Svr_Std_and_DataCtr_2012_64Bit_English_Core_MLF_X18-27588.ISO

Second install, I added the role before joining the domain and it was flawless.  Not sure if that was the fix or if the previous install just glitched out but things are working normally now.

Greg Fishback Director of I.T. GreenField Health System

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Is your server joined to the domain?

2. When you tried to install RDS via the Server Manager gui, did you choose quick start or standard, and session-based desktop deployment?

-TP

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Same thing

I think this is after some new updates

Can't add RD Session Host to exiting RD deployment...

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:53 PM
  • 1 Yes

2. Standard.  My server farm has a dozen 2008 R2 servers in it.  I've spun down the server and I'm going to rebuild from the ground up today.

Friday, June 21, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Vladimir,

Interesting... It was the first Role I tried to add immediately after install and I had done no updates but I did download the ISO with SP1.  I then went and applied all updates and got no love.  I plan on rebuilding it today and my plan was to install all updates before trying to add the role in case the early attempt changed something in the registry that was getting in my way.  If you're having the same problem, I would like to NOT replicate your steps to expedite the troubleshooting process.  What was your experience?

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

You may want to try installing the deployment before applying the latest windows updates for Server 2012.

-TP

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:04 PM
  • I believe that is what I did originally but Ill try it again paying closer attention.  I'm debating if I want to download the non SP1 version.  I'll do that if this one fails.  Shouldn't take too long to see if it was a fluke or not.  I'll keep you posted.

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

There is no SP1 for Windows Server 2012.

What is the .iso file name you are using for the install?

-TP

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Oops.  Sorry, my bad.  I was working with some other MS Software at the same time.  SP-1 stuck in the brain.  The ISO is SW_DVD5_Win_Svr_Std_and_DataCtr_2012_64Bit_English_Core_MLF_X18-27588.ISO

Second install, I added the role before joining the domain and it was flawless.  Not sure if that was the fix or if the previous install just glitched out but things are working normally now.

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

I thought you were doing a RDS deployment install (Quick or Standard)?  A deployment requires that the server be joined to a domain.

Are you saying you just installed the RD Session Host Role Service?

-TP

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Very similar situation.  Did in-place upgrade by adding Server 2012 standard license key to Windows 2012 Server Essentials.   Demoted the server so that it was no longer a domain controller, then joined it to domain where the DC was Server 2003.

I first (as local administrator) tried a minimalist approach suggested by KB2833839 using Server Manager - Add Roles & Features to add Remote Desktop Licensing and Remote Desktop Session host role services.  No joy.

(then I switched to domain administrator)  Same steps as above, no joy.

Same steps as above but tried installing all RDS roles.  No joy.

Next tried using Remote Desktop Services installation choice,  the Quick Start deployment, Session-Based Desktop Deployment.   Every role was directed to the machine I was on.  No joy.

Finally tried Remote Desktop Services installation choice, the Standard Deployment, Session-Based Desktop Deployment.  Every role was directed to the machine I was on.  No joy.

"No Joy" means:   No warnings during install,  no warnings at the end - except Restart Required.  Manually Restarted the system. 
    - First manual boot:  Installing... 
    - Second auto boot:   Installing, Install Failure, reverting...
    - Third auto boot:  Please Wait... reverting...
    - Final auto boot:   struggled a while, came back up with nothing installed.

I am not running Hyper-V.  Xeon E5-2620 0 @ 2.00 GHZ (2 processors), 24 threads, 64gb.

I have wasted about 16 hours on this, and am ready to throw in the towel and pay for a per-incident support even though we are an MS partner with an action-pack.

It shouldn't be this hard.  This problem documented all over the web, a struggle for folks much smarter than I  - Microsoft should address it.   

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:00 PM
  • Hi MichaelPLowery,

Please check if you have KB2821895 installed on your server.  If yes then you will need to backup all of your files and then re-install your server from scratch.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:10 AM