none
Deploy Windows 8 and not display the "sign into windows screen"

Question

• I have everything automated in a windows 7 installation, so I replicate my setup (task sequences) for windows 8 deployment, it all works perfect except it gets stuck after the initial OS install at the screen which requests to enter a user account name (a local account on the system). what setting am I missing to get round this, I want the screen to not halt the automated install. I either want the installation to continue to use the "Administrator" account and let MDT carry on with its stuff, or I want to automatically supply a different account name which would either take the place of the built in Administrator account, or disable the built in administrator.

what can I do? im using MDT 2012 and ive also tried the 2012 update 1 but I encounter the same issue.

thanks

Steve

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:43 PM

All replies

• Are you trying to deploy a custom wim of Windows 8, or are you using the source files.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 12:38 PM
  • you can't use a windows 7 task sequence to deploy windows 8 you will have to make a new task sequence for windows 8 because it uses different settings in the unattend.xml.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Yes I've created a new task sequence based on the windows 8 media, I am using the source files which includes the setup.exe file - do you think I should be importing the original install.wim file as a custom image instead?
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:52 AM
  • And the thing about the Windows 7 task sequence - i'm fine with making a new task sequence for windows 8 (it's how I do it anyway) but I don't get how a different unattend.xml file is generated when the version of the WAIK installed is for Windows 7 SP1, how does the WAIK know what stuff to create in the unattend.xml file when it doesn't know about Windows 8 yet, or is this what the catalog files are used for (but then again if that was the reason why was a specific version of the WAIK released for Windows 7 SP1, why not just use the WAIK for Windows 7 RTM?)?

cheers

Steve

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:02 AM
  • i would move from WAIK to use the windows ADK to deploy windows 8 machines
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:06 AM
  • but doesn't the ADK contain the WAIK anyway? what does the ADK contain that is specific to Windows 8 deployments? Also, I have this setup for deploying windows 7 because we are mostly still on that system, is there any issue im going to see if I simply install the ADK and its components on the same machine that MDT 2012 update 1 is already installed on, or should I be separating this out? our environment is fairly simple really, we don't use custom images - the task sequence and database records do all the customisation dynamically when the systems are deployed.
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:11 AM
  • the biggest difference is that it uses winpe 4.0 instead 3.0

not sure if windows 8 deploymens with WAIK is supported but to negate any problems and if you don't specifically need WAIK i would switch to using the ADK.
    you can still do your windows 7 deployments with the ADK so no problem there

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Steve, Windows ADK supports Windows 8, and a lot of the tools used have changed too. You should be using Windows ADK (WAIK needs to be fully uninstalled) and MDT 2012 Update 1 to be fully supported for Windows 8 (it also supports Windows 7). MDT 2012 Update 1 does not use setup.exe, it applies the image using imageX or DISM (imageX will eventually be going away).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Ok, I have now installed ADK and have MDT 2012 Update 1 installed, I also imported the install.wim file direct from the installation media (chose custom image option, not the source files). I use WDS to initiate the deployment, and have imported the winpe 4.0 boot image into WDS. I am encountering the following problems:

if I stay with using winpe 3.0 I deploy windows 8 in a fully automated way and it skips the user account selection screen like I wanted but I am faced with an issue about USMT not being able to restore the state, the guy in the following thread had the same issue but I have been unable to get round it http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/pl-PL/mdt/thread/8aa16888-9f4e-41e2-b33d-e19aad6387e3 (you have also commented on that thread but even checking that the USMT 5 folder exists does not solve the issue)

if I use the winpe 4.0 image I cant even boot the client, it gets to that initial black screen with the white bar along the bottom "windows is loading files" and shows the progress bar right the way along the bottom (like it must be 99-100% complete) but hangs on this and doesn't move.

any ideas?

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 3:01 PM
  • I get the same problem with the loading bar getting to 100% and then sticking there. How did you resolve the issue?
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:15 PM
  • For me, it appeared to be because of using the x64 version of WinPE 4.0... it didnt like it, so i now use the x86 version of WinPE.40 and it deploys both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the client OS. I read somewhere that apparently there can be issues if using the x64 boot image because it doesnt support the 32 bit client extensions. the only boot image i have in my Windows Deployment Server is the X64 version of WinPE 4.0 and it seems to all work fine now. i hope this helps you.
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:52 AM
  • I'm having the same problem where Windows 8 asks for a username/password and I'm using WinPE 4.0 x86 because I'm installing the 32bit Windows 8.   Reading the posts here I did my install of the OS the easy way.  I just select to inport the OS from the MDT screen and select the option to inport the full os from a cd.

Is there another answer for this?

Kris Da San Martino

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:19 PM