none
Server reboots when trying to restore database

Question

•     One of my servers has developed a problem where it will restart during the restore of a SQL database.  I've tried multiple databases and multiple backup files and it still happens every time....sometimes as early as the selection of the database backup file and sometimes as far as 60% completion of the restore job.  There is no memory crash dump or information in the event log as to what caused it.  Has anyone experienced this problem with SQL restores?  Any suggestions on how to figure out what is going on?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

What about the SQL Server ErrorLog, can you see there some further informations / any hint why this happens?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:45 PM
  •    Nothing interesting that I see in the SQL error logs either.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Then it's going to be very difficult to find the root cause for the service restart.

Have you applied the latest service pack to your SQL Server (and OS)? I know this is a "may solves everything" suggestion if we don't know any real solution, but sometimes it really helps.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:11 PM
  • I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear.  The service doesn't restart, the server itself actually restarts.

Do you know what is the most updated version of SQL 2005?  I am running 9.00.5000.00.  I think that is up to date.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:21 PM
  • The complete Windows Server restarts, not only the SQL Server? That is really very strange, I never heard something like this. What are the IT guys saying, do they have any glue? Is the OS also on actual patch level?

Yes, you are on SP 4 for SQL Server 2005 => http://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.de/

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:41 PM
  •    Yes, the complete Windows Server restarts.  Definitely really strange.  Unfortunately we are a smaller company and I am the only IT guy.  The OS is definitely patched up to updated levels.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

Never heard of that.

1. Have you checked your disks health? (both CHKDSK and physical disk health check tools)

2. How much free space you have on your C: drive? Is your database large enough to it fill up completely?

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:47 PM
  •    Yes, the complete Windows Server restarts.  Definitely really strange.  Unfortunately we are a smaller company and I am the only IT guy.  The OS is definitely patched up to updated levels.

Does it happens as soon as the restoration starts or after some delay?

Did you check the event viewer logs of Windows? It might give some clue.

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Did disk checks and they look fine.  The database is being restored to a D drive (RAID-5) that has over 100GB free.  The database is 20GB so I have plenty of space.
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Usually it happens after the restoration hits about 60%.  Occasionally it happens immediately.

I have checked the event logs but it doesn't seem that there is anything there that points me in the right direction.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Has to be a hardware/driver problem. SQL Server is all user-mode code and such code cannot bring down a machine, except by stressing it so it "touch places it haven't been Before", so to speak.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:18 PM