none
Office 365 ProPlus Click-to-Run autoupdate

Question

• I've used the Office Deployment Tool (ODT) to create a distribution point for Office 365 ProPlus on an internal file share. The deployment/installation works fine, but I can't figure out how to get the workstations to automatically install a newer build once I've made that available.

The workstations will report that an update is available (e.g., open Excel, click on "Accounts", and on the right-hand side there will be an indication that an update is available). The users are also able to click that same button to install the update. But I would like the update to be deployed automatically, i.e., without user intervention. Anyone know how to make that happen?

The "Updates" element in my configuration.xml file is set as follows:

<Updates Enabled="TRUE" UpdatePath="\\server\share\path\" />

Shaun

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:51 PM

Answers

• WSUS is not used in a click-to-run deployment. I'm hoping SCCM and/or third-party tools are not necessary, considering they never were under the old MSI installation format.

Anyway, I found the Office 2013 Group Policy templates here, and enabled the "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Microsoft Office 2013
    (Machine)/Updates/Enable Automatic Updates" setting.

After some time, the machines now appear to be updating themselves automatically. I'm not sure if the Group Policy setting had anything to do with this, or if enough time had finally passed to where they updated themselves.

Shaun

• Marked as answer by Shaunm001 Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Shaun,

We could acheive it through some tools. For example, SCCM, WSUS.

The detailed information, please refer to following articles:

System Center Configuration Manager 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735860.aspx

Windows Server Update Services

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx

Also some third-party tools are avaible. For example, Novell, Symantec.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:56 PM
  • WSUS is not used in a click-to-run deployment. I'm hoping SCCM and/or third-party tools are not necessary, considering they never were under the old MSI installation format.

Anyway, I found the Office 2013 Group Policy templates here, and enabled the "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Microsoft Office 2013
    (Machine)/Updates/Enable Automatic Updates" setting.

After some time, the machines now appear to be updating themselves automatically. I'm not sure if the Group Policy setting had anything to do with this, or if enough time had finally passed to where they updated themselves.

Shaun

• Marked as answer by Shaunm001 Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:09 PM