none
WSUS Issue Cannot open SUSDB requested by the login

Question

• Hello - can anyone explain why I get the following when I try to visit the Update Services home page in Server Manager in SBS 2003?

Server Error in '/UpdateServices' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'TILETEC\Administrator'.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'TILETEC\Administrator'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'TILETEC\Administrator'.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.CreateConnection() +402
       System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest() +147
       System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction) +464
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +372
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.Connect(String connectionString) +311
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.Connect() +622
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler, Int32 queryTimeoutInSeconds) +226
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler) +17
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ExecuteSPMultipleResultSets(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, Type[] resultTypes) +198
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ExecuteSPGetConfiguration() +147
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServerConfiguration.Load() +150
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServerConfiguration..ctor() +84
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateWellKnownType(Type type, Object[] args) +534
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args) +191
       Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetConfiguration() +45
       Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.DataProvider..ctor() +120
       Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.Utility.SyncInProgress(DataProvider dp) +156
       Microsoft.SBS.UpdateServices.StatusPage.formHome.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +290
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• I received the same issue after installing the latest update for WSUS, I had to uninstall WSUS and reinstall to get it working.

Guide to do this:

http://www.fixkar.com/articles/kb/1161/

• Proposed as answer by James Aventa Friday, June 22, 2012 2:11 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 2:11 PM
  • James - thank you for your quick response. Not being an experienced Admin that looks very detailed and quite daunting! However, may I just check that this applies to SBS 2003 (as well as 2008) before I look into it further?

Thanks

Phil

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Have just rebooted the server, on login I get an error relating to WSUS failure followed by an error relating to IIS failure.

The server is also trying to install WSUS Service Pack 3 but fails.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:00 AM
  • Can you let us know the detailed error message or any related log file?

Also, for WSUS specific issues, you can visit WSUS forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/winserverwsus/threads

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:29 AM
  • In the end I think this was related to updates that had not been installed, including one for WSUS itself.

Someone more techie than me came in and applied the updates and tidied the WSUS database.

Sorry I can't give any more precise info about the resolution other than that.

Phil

• Marked as answer by Raddersred Monday, July 30, 2012 9:26 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 9:26 AM