none
Installation freezes

Question

• I have an HP dv6 with Windows 7 factory installed on it. Two years ago I purchased Windows 8 and installed it. I was able to use Windows 8 for over a year. A few days ago Windows 8 stopped working on My PC. When I started it, it would hang on the loading screen with the spinning balls not moving. Windows would only load in Safe Mode.

Since my computer would only operate in safe mode,  I did a factory reset. My computer is now restored to Windows 7. When I tried to re-install Windows 8, it froze on the "Getting Ready" Screen at 90%. I used the "install now" option for installation each time. I have attempted installation 3 times.

I also have a back up HDD with the Windows 7 image. 

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:51 PM

Answers

• Are you trying to upgrade to Win 8 by opening the disk from inside Win 7 OS? Then go to device manager, disable graphics card and then try to install Win 8. To be on the safer side, you may also disable sound and network adapters. Once the installation is successful, you may enable it.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:05 PM
  • I was able to resolve the issue by disabling the drivers and choosing to install while only keeping personal files. Windows 8 is performing well. Thanks
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:13 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to upgrade to Win 8 by opening the disk from inside Win 7 OS? Then go to device manager, disable graphics card and then try to install Win 8. To be on the safer side, you may also disable sound and network adapters. Once the installation is successful, you may enable it.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:05 PM
  • I was able to resolve the issue by disabling the drivers and choosing to install while only keeping personal files. Windows 8 is performing well. Thanks
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:13 AM