none
Reboot host but VM stays up? How is this possible?

Question

• OK, I am really baffled here.  I have a 2012 Server with a 2008 R2 Hyper-V VM running on it.  The purpose of this is to migrate from 2000 server-->2008-->2012.

So, the 2008 server is now running as the DC and I am doing the final migration to 2012.  All is doing well and I come to the point on the 2012 server to reboot it.  Meanwhile, I am doing this all over RDP.  So I have an RDP connection to 2008 and 2012 and click OK to reboot the 2012 server and leave for an hour.

I come back and my connection to 2012 is not there, as expected, but my connection to 2008 is.  I connect to 2008 and everything is open and the up-time shows 20 days.  I connect to the 2012 server and it's up-time is 1 hour and 20 min.  

OK, how is this magic accomplished?  Does the VM keep running in another dimension then come back?  Is this a problem in time and space?

-Jim

Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Session to VM not disconnecting while rebooting Hyper-V (Host), it is automatically reconnect  when host is up. Please see below images for your reference.

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer” / “Marked As Answer” and please do "VOTE".

Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:49 AM
  • There is an option what to do with virtual machine when you reboot the host, check to see if the vm is set to save, if you reboot the host it will save the VM then resume after host reboots.
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Session to VM not disconnecting while rebooting Hyper-V (Host), it is automatically reconnect  when host is up. Please see below images for your reference.

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer” / “Marked As Answer” and please do "VOTE".

Sunday, September 15, 2013 6:49 AM
  • There is an option what to do with virtual machine when you reboot the host, check to see if the vm is set to save, if you reboot the host it will save the VM then resume after host reboots.
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 1:24 PM