none
Join a Windows 2012 server (standard edition) to an existing Windows SBS 2003 (32-bit) domain

Question

• We are planning to connect a brand new Windows 2012 server standard edition to a Domain that currently has a SBS 2003 as it's DC. I am finding it difficult to obtain any information. As the server is to be installed at a remote site (connected back to the domain via a LAN to LAN link), I am keen to make sure this new server (and the SBS box) are absolutely prepared before I do anything irreversible.

Can you advise?

Thanks

Les

les

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:32 PM

Answers

• Hmmm...I wouldn't make it a DC unless you have specifi need, e.g. don't do it for the sake of it. It complicates things if you ever have to do an authoritattive restore on your SBS box etc. It can also make things harder for upgrading to SBS2011 - given that SBS2003 is ancient then hopefully you have a plan for its repalcement sometime anyway?

Keep it as a member unless you really really need to make it a DC.

Jim

• Marked as answer by les565656 Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:52 PM

All replies

• There's nothing to worry about, you can simply connect it. *IF* you are planning to make it a DC then you will need to upgrade the domain scheme on the SBS2003 box, but youdon't mention that so I assume you are not.

Jim

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Are you going to make it a member server or a domain controller?  If it is a member server, just make sure its DNS only points to the SBS03 server.  If you are making it a DC, the same applies, just make sure that you run domain prep and forest prep first. 

Jeremy

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:41 PM
  • There's nothing to worry about, you can simply connect it. *IF* you are planning to make it a DC then you will need to upgrade the domain scheme on the SBS2003 box, but youdon't mention that so I assume you are not.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

There is no specific requirement to make this box a DC but, given that it is possible either way then I can see no reason not to. I shall upgrade the schema on the SBS box to accommodate the new requirement.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease

Thanks  

Les 

les

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:50 PM
  • Hmmm...I wouldn't make it a DC unless you have specifi need, e.g. don't do it for the sake of it. It complicates things if you ever have to do an authoritattive restore on your SBS box etc. It can also make things harder for upgrading to SBS2011 - given that SBS2003 is ancient then hopefully you have a plan for its repalcement sometime anyway?

Keep it as a member unless you really really need to make it a DC.

Jim

• Marked as answer by les565656 Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Again thanks for the heads-up about those two points.

I shall check if there is any real requirement to have the 2012 box as a DC and get back on here tomorrow.

Les

les

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 5:17 PM
  • There is no requirement for this machine to be a DC, therefore we will keep it simple and leave it as a member server.

I very much appreciate the help

Thanks jim

Regards

Les

les

Thursday, January 10, 2013 12:11 PM