none
Hyper-v 2012 NIC Teaming

Question

• Dear Forum,

I have created a NIC Teaming in hyper-v 2012 with Two 1G onboard NIC and one 10G PCI NIC 

I have set teaming mode - switch independent,Load balancing mode -Address hash,stand by adapter- all active and all my nic are connected to same external switch.

with this configuration my total bandwidth is 1+1+10= 12 G am I right ? If this is the case the packets will flow through all the three NIC's and should I make any changes in external switch.

• Edited by J.P.Raj Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:34 AM
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:34 AM

Answers

• This team is not a simple 12GB pipe. Each NIC will get some traffic but it will not be distributed in the way that you are expecting. As VR38DETT said, any given TCP stream will use one and only one physical pathway. You cannot control which will be used for any given transmission. What will happen is that every third stream will go down the 10GbE line while the others are stuck on the 1GbE pipes. If the 10GbE transmissions finish and those on the 1GbE lines are not done, they will stay on the 1GbE lines while the 10GbE line goes idle. Overall, this will result in a very poor utilization of your network hardware. This is not a Hyper-V concept. This is how teaming works.

Eric Siron
    http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/

• Proposed as answer by VR38DETTMVP Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by J.P.Raj Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:59 AM
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 6:58 PM

All replies

• It's a very bad idea to team 1 GbE and 10 GbE links. For a reason: single connection TCP sessions will still use single bond inside your team so you can get 1 GbE performance when you expect to have 12 gigabit. Leave 10 GbE for a backbone and use 1 GbE for control, heartbeat, failover (if 10 GbE will go down) etc. 

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Dear  VR38DETT ,

Thanks for your reply.But i am a beginner with a hyper-v. for more understanding ,since i have confiugred as all adapters active the packets will flow through all nics right ?.obviuosly the bandwidth will increase right ?

Note in image the nic are showing as discconected but anyhow they will be connected.

Regards

J.P Raj

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:33 PM
  • This team is not a simple 12GB pipe. Each NIC will get some traffic but it will not be distributed in the way that you are expecting. As VR38DETT said, any given TCP stream will use one and only one physical pathway. You cannot control which will be used for any given transmission. What will happen is that every third stream will go down the 10GbE line while the others are stuck on the 1GbE pipes. If the 10GbE transmissions finish and those on the 1GbE lines are not done, they will stay on the 1GbE lines while the 10GbE line goes idle. Overall, this will result in a very poor utilization of your network hardware. This is not a Hyper-V concept. This is how teaming works.

Eric Siron
    http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/

• Marked as answer by J.P.Raj Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:59 AM
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 6:58 PM
  •  Hi siron/VR38DETT,

Thanks for your replay. my server has 4  onboard 1G NIC and 2 PCI 10G NIC. So, my idea is to team 2 onboard and one PCI NIC, I have no other choice and this is not going to bother because any how the 10G NIC's are going to be ideal if not used.

Initially I was confused with the data following through all the available NIC and will contain MAC address of that NIC, so any configuration needed at the switch. But from your replay I understand that particular TCP stream will flow through only a particular NIC so no configuration needed at the switch end and moreover my swtich will not be aware of the teaming.?

Regards

J.P Raj

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:10 AM
  •  Hi siron/VR38DETT,

Thanks for your replay. my server has 4  onboard 1G NIC and 2 PCI 10G NIC. So, my idea is to team 2 onboard and one PCI NIC, I have no other choice and this is not going to bother because any how the 10G NIC's are going to be ideal if not used.

Initially I was confused with the data following through all the available NIC and will contain MAC address of that NIC, so any configuration needed at the switch. But from your replay I understand that particular TCP stream will flow through only a particular NIC so no configuration needed at the switch end and moreover my swtich will not be aware of the teaming.?

Regards

J.P Raj

For iSCSI you don't team NICs (you can with 2012 but it still sucks) and SMB does a very good job running multiple TCP sessions so do team with SMB. What other traffic you want to run for your backbone?

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 7:49 AM