none
List Services Information Failed

Question

• Sql Server 2008 cluster, One node server10 failed and was rebuilt, and I want to add it back into cluster. Cluster now has only one good and active node server11.

when I run Validate cluster on active running node server11, it can not see services on itself,  I get message

List Services Information    Failed

Gathering Services Information for server11.mydomain.com
    An error occurred while executing the test. There was an error getting information about the running services on the nodes. There was an error retrieving information about the Services from node 'server11.mydomain.com'. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

any ideas?

Fred

Sunday, July 07, 2013 8:54 AM

Answers

• thanks, I do not want to rebuild whole cluster,  

cluster is running ok, with one active running node and I do not want to disturb it, if possible.

Active node is failing validation, it can not list its own services.

Fred

Hi,

First of all since ur windows node failed/corrupted so 'ur cluster' is no longer a cluster with proper failover. I dont know why you are running validation. By rebuilding from scratch i mean you have to add the node(windows) again ,which failed,after removing the failure to current setup and then add this node as sql cluster please refer to link below how to do it..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181075(v=sql.100).aspx

additionally..http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1404272-1549-1.aspx

Edit:Hi when validation is done its done for both nodes not for single ,you can do for single but running validation by selecting both nodes will give u proper result...since ur one node is gone i suggest u follow steps mentioned in article..

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Monday, July 08, 2013 3:43 PM

All replies

• Sql Server 2008 cluster, One node server10 failed and was rebuilt, and I want to add it back into cluster. Cluster now has only one good and active node server11

Hi,

You have to rebuild your cluster from scratch..since one node failed you first have to rebuild ur Windows cluster then SQL cluster.Whats was the failure was it OS failure ? Since node was rebuilt it wont be cluster aware now..

Are you moving in this way?...run validation report before building Win cluster to check inconsistencies with storage,network ...then proceed with win cluster rebuild.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Sunday, July 07, 2013 10:17 AM

cluster is running ok, with one active running node and I do not want to disturb it, if possible.

Fred

Monday, July 08, 2013 3:26 PM

Fred

Hi,

First of all since ur windows node failed/corrupted so 'ur cluster' is no longer a cluster with proper failover. I dont know why you are running validation. By rebuilding from scratch i mean you have to add the node(windows) again ,which failed,after removing the failure to current setup and then add this node as sql cluster please refer to link below how to do it..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181075(v=sql.100).aspx

additionally..http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1404272-1549-1.aspx

Edit:Hi when validation is done its done for both nodes not for single ,you can do for single but running validation by selecting both nodes will give u proper result...since ur one node is gone i suggest u follow steps mentioned in article..

Monday, July 08, 2013 3:43 PM