none
MDT 2012 Format & Partition

Question

• Question is this. Already using Microsoft Deployment Toolikt, but I can not solve one problem.

Have a client computer. It has one hard drive, which is divided into 2 partitions (C, D). In C of course is a system, the disk D - all user data.

So how to set the Task Sequence install Windows 7, so it did not remove all partitions & creating OSDisk with volume equal to the entire disk? That is, you can install the operating system on drive C, with no change in partition D.

I tried to disable default task "Format And Partition", added the script with diskpart (read somewhere on the forums):

select disk 0
    select partition 1
    format fs=NTFS Label="System" Quick
    exit

As a result, an error that can not be found boot partition (FAILURE: Boot Drive was not found, required?)

Friday, November 23, 2012 12:22 PM

All replies

• Are you starting the build from within WinPE?  If so you could try starting the build from within the O/S or set it as a refresh rather than a newcomputer.  That way the drive is cleaned rather than formatted.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 1:08 PM
  • I do not understand. What do I need to change in the properties of the task sequence?

Friday, November 23, 2012 1:22 PM
  • He's suggesting to start the task sequence from your currently installed operating system. That will allow MDT to install Windows onto the pc without reformatting the drives. No changes are needed to your task sequence for this to work (assuming you using a default task sequence, meaning you didn't remove tasks you thought you wouldn't need)

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:51 PM
  • To me this looks backwards (or perhaps I don't understand the problem).

Instead or doing manually diskpart and disable the format disk step. Why don't you create the partitions as you would see fit in the task sequence? The name of the task is "Format and Partition Disk"

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:35 PM
  • He's trying to keep the second partition on the disk, just re-format the first partition that contains Windows. That's something that MDT doesn't do out-of-the-box when you run a NewComputer scenario, instead it'll wipe all partitions and partition it to the specified layout in the format and partition disk step.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Friday, November 23, 2012 11:00 PM
  • I understand the question now. Thank you Stephan.

It is like deploymentType=refresh but you need to format the C: drive.

Can you try this and let us know.

In the PreInstall section, just after the gahter step. Add "Set Task Sequence Variable". Change the variable to DeploymentType=REFRESH. Also add your step to format the drive as you did before. If you have the boot information (BCD) on C: then you need to add that too.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:10 PM
  • I understand the question now. Thank you Stephan.

It is like deploymentType=refresh but you need to format the C: drive.

Can you try this and let us know.

In the PreInstall section, just after the gahter step. Add "Set Task Sequence Variable". Change the variable to DeploymentType=REFRESH. Also add your step to format the drive as you did before. If you have the boot information (BCD) on C: then you need to add that too.

In the Preintall section in properties "New Computer Only" i changed "Task Sequence Variable Condition" from "DeploymentType=NewComputer" to "DeploymentType=REFRESH"

There is also a script that formats the drive C - "Format Only Disk C":

select disk 0
    select partition 1
    exit

As a result, an error that can not be found boot partition (FAILURE: Boot Drive was not found, required?)

Where should I add the boot information?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Your condition in wrong.  Exist will only look for the variable being set so you need to change that to an equals condition rather than an exists one.
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:07 AM
  • Your condition in wrong.  Exist will only look for the variable being set so you need to change that to an equals condition rather than an exists one.

Do I understand correctly?

With these parameters the same error.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:16 PM
  • And failed to correctly configure the task. Can you help?
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Delete the action named "Format only disk C"

If you look in the code for LTIApply.wsf you'll see functions to clean the drive without formatting/partitioning it, this is the functionality that people are suggesting you use.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:14 PM
  • you should active the disk and assign a drive letter. 

you script should be the following:

select disk 0
    select partition 1

active

assign
    exit

Frank@Hiweb 冯立超@瀚博资讯

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:02 AM
  • Format and Partition Disk

This task sequence step configures and formats disk partitions on the target computer.Following is a brief listing of the settings that show how this step was originally configured in one of the MDTtask sequence templates.

For more information about what script accomplishes this task and what properties are used, seeZTIDiskpart.wsf.

The default configuration of the Format and Partition Disk task sequence step is:

Properties

Name

Value

Type

Format and Partition Disk

Name

Format and Partition Disk

Description

Not specified

Settings

Name

Value

Disk number

Disk type

Standard (MBR)

Volume

Within the Volume setting, the following   sub-settings are configured:

• Partition Name.   OSDisk
    • Partition Type.   Primary
    • Use a percentage of remaining space. Selected
    • Size(%). 100
    • Use specific drive size.Not selected
    • Make this a boot partition. Selected
    • File System. NTFS
    • Quick Format.   Selected
    • Variable.Not   specified

Options

Name

Value

Disable this step

Not selected

Success codes

0 3010

Continue on error

Not selected

Conditional qualifier

Not specified

Note   When using the CustomSettings.ini file to specify the hard disk and partition configurations, only the first hard disk and first two partitions will be configured. Edit ZTIGather.xml to configure additional hard disks or partitions.

Freelance-IT http://www.freelance-it.com.mx

Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:39 AM