none
Unattend file to skip user account setup during oobe

Question

• Hi,                                                        

I’m seeking advice in regards to using an unattend file and a sysprep wim of win8 that contains a pre-configured user account with admin rights. I have come across multiple forums asking similar questions about skipping the user account setup during the oobe on a workgroup pc. I have tried several methods found throughout forums but would really like to keep the preconfigured user account without creating another user or enabling the default administrator account. Is it possible to add these pre-configured user account details to the unattend?

I have tried adding it to the windows shell setup / user accounts / local accounts but it still prompts me for a new user account during setup. I’m using the same user name and logon password in the unattend that was used in the sysprep OS.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:32 AM

Answers

• If I understand you correctly, you should be able to, yes.  Although, if you are doing this with MDT, instead of creating the new user in Unattend.xml, you could just do it as a VBScript or batch file step after the WIM is applied.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by tas7330 Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:00 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

• I'm a little confused... you say the pre-configured user account is in the WIM and then ask if it's possible to add it in the unattend.  Which is it you are trying to do... or are you just trying to skip oobe so it doesn't ask for a user account?  If you just need to skip it, then you can use this as a guide in your Unattend.xml (this is from MDT for skipping OOBE):

<OOBE>
            <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
            <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
            <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
            <HideLocalAccountScreen>true</HideLocalAccountScreen>
            <HideOnlineAccountScreens>true</HideOnlineAccountScreens>
            <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
          </OOBE>

Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:22 AM
  • Sorry about the confusion. The image I was trying to deploy contained an admin user account that would not keep the default TIME/DATE format or the correct locale after the install had finished. If a new admin user was created after the installation the correct settings would apply for that user. I have now decided to remove the admin user from the image and configure the unattend to set up a local admin user account during the deployment.

So by creating a local admin user within the unattend file can I still use the above guide to completely skip the oobe. As all that is required on the pc is the local admin account?

Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:18 PM
  • If I understand you correctly, you should be able to, yes.  Although, if you are doing this with MDT, instead of creating the new user in Unattend.xml, you could just do it as a VBScript or batch file step after the WIM is applied.

• Marked as answer by tas7330 Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:00 PM
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:22 PM
  • After you assistance and some further research I have exactly what I was looking for.

Thank You

Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:03 PM