none
SBS2011 - Calendar Sharing Only. Do I need to setup a full exchange server. What else is there??

Question

• Hello Guys,

Hopefully somebody here can help me out.  I have read installation guides, walkthroughs, and tutorials; however nothing seems to address what I am trying to accomplish.

First off, a little background information about the business I am implementing a server in.  This is a company using old technology, slow internet, and simply sharing files off a regular pc.  I brought them up to speed with all new desktops and a new Intel server.  They are a law firm with less than 10 employees who all need to share a calendar, documents, printer.  Calendar needs to be shared to each computer and some smartphones.  Their email is a POP3 hosted by a company that hosts their website and handles all their sales leads.  They do not want to change anything with this company, it's been setup for years, and it will remain this way.

I have installed the server running SBS2011, containing Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Exchange 2010, and SharePoint Foundation.  Currently it is installed as a simple file and print server, replacing the windows XP pc they had before running their backup system.  It backs up to the cloud every day and does an archive of all their data, including all their emails.  They also do hard backups as well, storing one off site and one onsite.  Each backup contains all their emails.  Their emails are also fully accessible from all their phones already.

So what I don't have working for everybody is the calendar.  I need everyone to be able to see a shared calendar, and have access to it from phones or web.  This is the only function I need exchange for.  How can I go about installing exchange simply for this purpose, and completely leaving out all mail purposes.

If this is not possible, how can I implement exchange and have it still integrate with their current mail server and hosting?  In everything I read, I never actually saw anything that tells me exactly what exchange does.  I found how to install it, but don't have a clear idea exactly what it does and how it works.  Does exchange take over completely as the mail server, becoming the new POP3 & SMTP host, or does it simply connect to the current mail server and act as a mailbox for the entire office, being a passthrough from each computer to the mail server?

What would you do in this situation, where the only thing that really needs to change is the calendar?  We have officecalendar.com, it's not efficient and very clunky to use.  Already have the server and software paid for...  HELP :)

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post.
    Monday, April 30, 2012 8:15 PM

Answers

• There are a couple of ways to handle this

When you install SBS 2011, Exchange is installed with Full functionality.

When you create new USERS in the SBS Console (please tell us you used the SBS console to create users
    In fact you should have walked through other wizards before creating users, but it's not too late), it creates an Exchange Mailbox for each user.  A Mailbox contains email, Calendar, Contacts, etc. which are then accessed using Microsoft Outlook.

In outlook you can have both the POP3 email account which is probably what they are doing now, and the Exchange Account.
    If they would prefer mail to keep coming to the Hoster for a while, then SBS includes something called the POP3 connector.   It can act as intermediary and pull email from the Hosting folks into their exchange mailbox.   You can also set Exchange to send email back through their email server.  This is called a SmartHost.

You will also want to create a A or Host record of "remote.domainname.com" with the external hosting company that points to your SBS Server public IP...this will be required for smartphones to get the calendar updates and email from the Exchange account if you use the POP3 connector

Then when the business feels all is well, you simply change the MX record to point to the A record remote.domainname.com and you have full collaboration of Exchange functionality.

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967 r=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Hello Guys,

Hopefully somebody here can help me out.  I have read installation guides, walkthroughs, and tutorials; however nothing seems to address what I am trying to accomplish.

First off, a little background information about the business I am implementing a server in.  This is a company using old technology, slow internet, and simply sharing files off a regular pc.  I brought them up to speed with all new desktops and a new Intel server.  They are a law firm with less than 10 employees who all need to share a calendar, documents, printer.  Calendar needs to be shared to each computer and some smartphones.  Their email is a POP3 hosted by a company that hosts their website and handles all their sales leads.  They do not want to change anything with this company, it's been setup for years, and it will remain this way.

I have installed the server running SBS2011, containing Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Exchange 2010, and SharePoint Foundation.  Currently it is installed as a simple file and print server, replacing the windows XP pc they had before running their backup system.  It backs up to the cloud every day and does an archive of all their data, including all their emails.  They also do hard backups as well, storing one off site and one onsite.  Each backup contains all their emails.  Their emails are also fully accessible from all their phones already.

So what I don't have working for everybody is the calendar.  I need everyone to be able to see a shared calendar, and have access to it from phones or web.  This is the only function I need exchange for.  How can I go about installing exchange simply for this purpose, and completely leaving out all mail purposes. 

If this is not possible, how can I implement exchange and have it still integrate with their current mail server and hosting?  In everything I read, I never actually saw anything that tells me exactly what exchange does.  I found how to install it, but don't have a clear idea exactly what it does and how it works.  Does exchange take over completely as the mail server, becoming the new POP3 & SMTP host, or does it simply connect to the current mail server and act as a mailbox for the entire office, being a passthrough from each computer to the mail server?

What would you do in this situation, where the only thing that really needs to change is the calendar?  We have officecalendar.com, it's not efficient and very clunky to use.  Already have the server and software paid for...  HELP :)

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Monday, April 30, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Hi,

I’m not sure whether you were using the Exchange server as the mail system. If so, I think the calendar sharing in the Exchange server is great. And the features in the Exchange server are good and easy to use.

From your description, I noticed one statement:

So what I don't have working for everybody is the calendar.  I need everyone to be able to see a shared calendar, and have access to it from phones or web.

ActiveSync not support different type of calendars. You can consider 3rd party solutions like team calendar or if you have SharePoint in your organization you can publish it for mobile view. Both solutions are not ideal because it will not work as in desktop but you will be able to see shared calendars whenever you want.

Just for the calendar, I think SharePoint will be better. For the detailed information, you could refer to the links below:

Title: Use a Group Calendar
    URL: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/use-a-group-calendar-HA101810606.aspx

Title: Configure SharePoint Server 2010 for Mobile Device Access
    URL: http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2010/03/09/configure-sharepoint-server-2010-for-mobile-device-access.aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:00 AM

All replies

• There are a couple of ways to handle this

When you install SBS 2011, Exchange is installed with Full functionality.

When you create new USERS in the SBS Console (please tell us you used the SBS console to create users
    In fact you should have walked through other wizards before creating users, but it's not too late), it creates an Exchange Mailbox for each user.  A Mailbox contains email, Calendar, Contacts, etc. which are then accessed using Microsoft Outlook.

In outlook you can have both the POP3 email account which is probably what they are doing now, and the Exchange Account.
    If they would prefer mail to keep coming to the Hoster for a while, then SBS includes something called the POP3 connector.   It can act as intermediary and pull email from the Hosting folks into their exchange mailbox.   You can also set Exchange to send email back through their email server.  This is called a SmartHost.

You will also want to create a A or Host record of "remote.domainname.com" with the external hosting company that points to your SBS Server public IP...this will be required for smartphones to get the calendar updates and email from the Exchange account if you use the POP3 connector

Then when the business feels all is well, you simply change the MX record to point to the A record remote.domainname.com and you have full collaboration of Exchange functionality.

--
    Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
    Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
    http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967 r=8-1
    Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    A Microsoft Registered Partner
    ------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft
    Please do not submit questions directly to me.

Hello Guys,

Cris Hanna, Microsoft SBS MVP, Owner-CPU Services, Belleville, IL
    Monday, April 30, 2012 9:18 PM
  • Thank you for your response Cris.  You gave me a lot of good information on what to do.  I will be starting the implementation tomorrow.  Will keep updated if I have any questions.

Thanks again for the help 

Monday, April 30, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Hi,

I’m not sure whether you were using the Exchange server as the mail system. If so, I think the calendar sharing in the Exchange server is great. And the features in the Exchange server are good and easy to use.

From your description, I noticed one statement:

So what I don't have working for everybody is the calendar.  I need everyone to be able to see a shared calendar, and have access to it from phones or web.

ActiveSync not support different type of calendars. You can consider 3rd party solutions like team calendar or if you have SharePoint in your organization you can publish it for mobile view. Both solutions are not ideal because it will not work as in desktop but you will be able to see shared calendars whenever you want.

Just for the calendar, I think SharePoint will be better. For the detailed information, you could refer to the links below:

Title: Use a Group Calendar
    URL: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/use-a-group-calendar-HA101810606.aspx

Title: Configure SharePoint Server 2010 for Mobile Device Access
    URL: http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2010/03/09/configure-sharepoint-server-2010-for-mobile-device-access.aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

Monday, May 07, 2012 8:06 AM
  • I went ahead and used the sharepoint calendar, and then connected that to everyones outlook.  I have a program called GSync which then connects the outlook calendar to a gmail calendar.  The gmail calendar is easily read by everyones iphones and android devices.

So the solution is now a single calendar that everyone uses from all their devices.  They sync every 15 minutes so the google calendar always matches and vice versa.

Works great, and didn't have to worry about all the Exchange stuff.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:47 PM