none
Shared Printer Problem

Question

• Hi ...
    I have a printer connected to a computer on a LAN .. The printer is shared among all computers of the LAN . I could print from that computer the printer is connected to , but when tring to print from the other LAN computers , i get a message that the printer spooler on the server is not working and that i should restart the machine or the spooler service.. I could make sure that the spooler service is working properly and that it is set to Automatic on the computer the printer is connected to , as well as the other LAN computers , but i still can't print using those computers and still get the same message every time I try to print from a computer other than that the printer is connected to ..
    I could make sure the LAN computers are properly connected using ping instructions .. 

Thanks ..

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 10:04 PM

Answers

• Set up a shared printer that prints to LPT1: and uses the Generic Text only driver included in Windows.  Make the share name TEST.

Can the client machine create a printer connection to "TEST on SERVER" or is the experience the above error?

If the client can obtain a connection, print the test page.  If this works, the other driver that you are sharing could be causing memory corruption in the spooler process on the client machine. 

If the connection cannot be created, you could have a policy conflict or some sort of firewall block on the print spooler services RPC endpoint. 

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:35 AM
    Answerer
  • It was a firewall problem ... Thank you ..

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:29 PM

All replies

• Set up a shared printer that prints to LPT1: and uses the Generic Text only driver included in Windows.  Make the share name TEST.

Can the client machine create a printer connection to "TEST on SERVER" or is the experience the above error?

If the client can obtain a connection, print the test page.  If this works, the other driver that you are sharing could be causing memory corruption in the spooler process on the client machine. 

If the connection cannot be created, you could have a policy conflict or some sort of firewall block on the print spooler services RPC endpoint. 

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:35 AM
    Answerer
  • It was a firewall problem ... Thank you ..

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:29 PM