none
Power View Multidimensional BISM Files errors connecting to Cube reverse engineered from SSAS 2008R2 to SQL 2012 SP1 CU4

Question

• Hi,

I have a Multidimensional Cube that was restored to SQL 2012 SP1 CU4 from a backup made on SQL 2008R2. I am unable to connect to the Cube from a BISM .rsds file; error message is a 400 Unauthorized error in Fiddler.  If I create a net new Cube I am able to connect without any issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Richmintz,

SQL Server 2012 SP1 introduces new features for Analysis Services running in Tabular mode. In some cases, tabular model projects deployed to a Analysis Services server may not be compatible with the server instance after upgrading the SQL Server.

The issue may be caused by that the existing tabular model is not upgraded after you upgrade from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2012. Please upgrade the tabular model project to SQL Server 2012 SP1, and change the Compatibility Level to “SQL Server 2012 SP1 (1103)” and check the issue again. For the detailed information, please see:
    http://ayadshammout.com/2013/01/18/upgrade-tabular-model-project-to-sql-2012-sp1-2/.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Richmintz,

SQL Server 2012 SP1 introduces new features for Analysis Services running in Tabular mode. In some cases, tabular model projects deployed to a Analysis Services server may not be compatible with the server instance after upgrading the SQL Server.

The issue may be caused by that the existing tabular model is not upgraded after you upgrade from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2012. Please upgrade the tabular model project to SQL Server 2012 SP1, and change the Compatibility Level to “SQL Server 2012 SP1 (1103)” and check the issue again. For the detailed information, please see:
    http://ayadshammout.com/2013/01/18/upgrade-tabular-model-project-to-sql-2012-sp1-2/.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Not sure if I was clear, but this is not a tabular database, it is multidimensional. I am able to create BISM connections to net new Multidimensional models created after installing SP1 CU4, however a database that was restored after SP1 CU4 was installed will not work.

Thanks,

Richard

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:52 PM