none
Connection with the specified AD RMS cluster could not be established

Question

• Hello Friends,

I am doing AD RMS practical in a lab environment and facing issue in the server where I installed the RMS role which is other than the domain controller. The user I have created to install the role is a member of Enterprise admin group and also the local admin group as mentioned in the Microsoft's step by step guide here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753531(v=ws.10).aspx#BKMK_S1 though I am using 2008 R2 for the practical.

When I logged in to the computer (Other than DC) to install the role then after launching the server manager, I got this message "Windows can't access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item C:\windows\system32\ServerManager.msc though after clicking on Ok it appeared and I was able to install the role.

After the installation I got the message  installation succeeded with errors as shown below though I did use a separate service account during installation and have already created a FQDN for RMS server say rms.rmspractical.com:

I did log off and log on but even after a restart do not get a running RMS role and get this message

• Edited by Server 20XX Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:25 PM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try following:

1. Create new domain account and give both Domain and Enterprise Admin group membership.
    2. Try uninstlaling ADRMS role.
    3. Remove and Rejoin ADRMS server from/to the domain.
    4. Before installing RMS again, make sure that Local Admin group on the ADRMS server conains Domain/Enterprise admin group.
    5. Also if you are using SQL on the backend, your newly created domain account must have permissions to create new databases (typically by assigning the account the  System Administrator role on the SQL server)

Did my post help you or make you laugh? Don't forget to click the Helpful vote :) If I answered your question please mark my post as an Answer.

• Marked as answer by Server 20XX Monday, August 25, 2014 7:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Server 20XX Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Server 20XX Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:54 AM
    Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:21 PM

All replies

• When I start server manager using the user then I get the message below:

After clicking on ok, I get the message

And once I click on No then the server manager is up so what should be done to properly install and then a working RMS role so that I can restrict the documents to complete the RMS lab practical.
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Try following:

1. Create new domain account and give both Domain and Enterprise Admin group membership.
    2. Try uninstlaling ADRMS role.
    3. Remove and Rejoin ADRMS server from/to the domain.
    4. Before installing RMS again, make sure that Local Admin group on the ADRMS server conains Domain/Enterprise admin group.
    5. Also if you are using SQL on the backend, your newly created domain account must have permissions to create new databases (typically by assigning the account the  System Administrator role on the SQL server)

Did my post help you or make you laugh? Don't forget to click the Helpful vote :) If I answered your question please mark my post as an Answer.

• Marked as answer by Server 20XX Monday, August 25, 2014 7:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Server 20XX Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Server 20XX Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:54 AM
    Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:21 PM
  • Hello Andrzej,

Thank you for the reply, glad to get one though could not reply as my net was down.

1) done
    2) done using domain admin, would it make a difference if I would do using admin or would have done using the new user created in step 1 and why did you say try instead of just uninstall ADRMS? Does it give errors at times while uninstalling RMS
    3) done
    4) Tried to do it but it says domain admins or enterprise admins is already a part of the administrator group then added the new user to the group and again got an error but this time for certificate. Will install a fresh lab setup and then would do it. I guess the addition of the user to the domain admin group was missing.
    5) I understand, also saw in the adrms step by step guide though I am using Windows Internal Database option

I have also attached the new error this time, would appreciate if you can guide me in fixing this too as would be a new learnig thing. Where to edit this binding in IIS, might be referring to when I previously installed RMS

Monday, August 25, 2014 7:39 PM
  • Hello Andrzej,

I tried to do the lab test with builtin domain administrator but got the same error as posted initially so could not understand why RMS can't be installed with that account? Though I tried another domain user account previously with enterprise admins group rights

Tried to do the test with another user but now getting unable to contact IP driver general failure message so can't verify the service account while installing RMS so don't know what is happening now with my RMS lab practical.

Why the forum is so inactive, I am not referring to this particular thread only. Also saw other threads but there are not much replies instead the number of views are more??

Thanks

Regards

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:53 AM
  • Anyone any suggestion or noone and no suggestions??
    Friday, August 29, 2014 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

Reading this thread once again I got lost in errors and situations you get :) Can you please describe - what is the current lab status and what account are you using and also what error would you like to troubleshoot... 

Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:44 PM
  • Hello,

I have fours PCs, 3 with server installation and 1 is the client PC but I am getting stuck at the 3rd PC to install the RMS role.

1st PC is the domain controller with 2 user accounts RMSuser1 which is a service account to use while installing the RMS role & RMSuser2 account to install the RMS role and also made the RMSuser2 user member of Enterprise Admins group and Domain Admins group.  I have also made the RMSInstaller user a member of local admin group in the computer where I would install the RMS role.
    I am using internal database so no server for SQL

2nd PC with Root Enterprise CA and issued a web server template (with read and enroll permissions) for the RMS PC and also imported the certificate in the PC where I am installing RMS.

Now, once I am trying to install the RMS using the user which is a part of enterprise and domain admin group I am facing the error as stated in my first post above.

Thanks

Regards

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 6:43 AM
  • 1. Try access Server Manager manually. Click Start, Run, type "mmc". Go to File - Add/Remove - Server Manager - Add - Local. DO you still see "Windows can't access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" ?

2. Have you tried deleting C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC  and C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC folders? If not, give it a shot, reboot servers and try to access Server Manager again.

3. If nothing from above helps, provision new W2K8 R2 server and domain join - see if you can reproduce this issue on new server.

Tuesday, September 02, 2014 9:52 PM
  • After I click on the error screen then the server manager opens up properly and I can install the RMS role with the errors at the end so I could not understand why the error pops up at the first place if I can access it later and was wondering what appropriate permissions do I need to access the item?

2) I did the first one though for the second one it said not accessible from the user that I created and then I did a %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC folders which works as it is automatically adding the c:\users prefix. I was also wondering what all both of the above commands would do?

3) I already did this 2 times on a new installation with the same error
    Wednesday, September 03, 2014 7:46 PM
  • So after reboot neither option #1 nor #2 helped you out? In #3 what I mean is that you create and provision NEW virutal machine, install W2K8R2 from the scratch, domain join this server and try to install ADRMS again on that new server - is this what you claim to try 2 times? If not, please give it a try.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Yes, when option 1 & 2 did not work then I did try the new server from scratch two times and it did not work either so something is missing in between, don't know what exactly.

I was wondering if others only viewing this topic to see the troubleshooting or no one has ever faced the problem or no one has any solution to this. I appreciate your time as you are curious like me to resolve the issue.

Sunday, September 07, 2014 8:58 PM