RDP Listener Custom Settings not available in server 2012 and 2012 R2

Question

• We want to bind the listener to a particular interface. We were able to do this from the GUI – remote desktop session host configuration on 2008 R2, which doesn’t exist for 2012.

For automation, we were setting the making the following changes in the registry

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp, set LanAdapter to “1”
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\lanatable, select the key name with the GUID of your desired interface and set LanaId value to “1”

I was not able to get any of the above to work on 2012 R2.
    Monday, September 09, 2013 7:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, the ways of management tools are changed in Server 2012. Most of configuration is moved to the central Serve Manager interface or can be done using PowerShell Module.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, the ways of management tools are changed in Server 2012. Most of configuration is moved to the central Serve Manager interface or can be done using PowerShell Module.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:07 PM
  • its true that the management tools are no longer available in 2012 and R2 to make custom changes to the listener.

however, you can still use a 2008 R2 machine, open Remote desktop Session host config tool and use it to connect to your 2012 server.

You will now be able to configure its  settings as you like.

hope its helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Manish Jeenwal Monday, September 23, 2013 3:47 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 3:45 PM