none
Best way to keep a folder in synch between multiple datacenters

Question

• I'm looking for a way to synchronize a folder from one server to another.
    I want one server to be a master server and all the other servers should receive the file(changes) from the master server quickly after they have been edited or added/deleted.

I've been looking in to DFS, but I believe this requires setting up a domain.
    I've tried this in the past but the domain also changed all my user account logins, which is something I want to avoid on a server which has already been setup.

Another thing is that the servers are located in different locations of the world, so the traffic go's over WAN.
    All servers use Windows Server 2012 R2.

What would be a good solution/implementation for this scenario?

Monday, November 18, 2013 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Without domain, the only 2 possible solutions to me are:

1. Script (and use schedule task to run it automatically/frequently to keep files in sync) 

2. Application such as Skydrive (files will be stored on internet and changes will also be replicated from secondary server back to primary server) or third party programs like Sean mentioned. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2013 3:00 AM
  • AFAIK, DFS only works within a single domain -- have not tried it with sub/child domains.

Multiple locations does not require multiple domains.

Yes, it is generally recommended for each location to have a backup domain controller/DC, with one location (typically the central office) having the primary DC.

Sunday, December 08, 2013 8:50 PM
  • AFAIK, DFS only works within a single domain -- have not tried it with sub/child domains.

Yes, it is generally recommended for each location to have a backup domain controller/DC, with one location (typically the central office) having the primary DC.

DFS *does* work with a multiple domains. See:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238(WS.10).aspx

Must members of a replication group reside in the same domain?

No. Replication groups can span across domains within a single forest but not across different forests.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Monday, December 09, 2013 12:11 AM

All replies

• Your post is unclear;

• are your users in a domain or not?
    • do you have multiple domains?

'Cus DFS is exactly the solution you are looking for. 

It will compress and distribute changes to the other locations very quickly, it also supports failover logic whereby if the 'master' dies another member will assume the role, so you don't experience an outage.

There are other "file sync" solutions which are available, but most would stop working if the master node was offline.

If you have multiple domains, you likely need to define a "global" domain for your DFS nodes, and then establish trusts to the local domains, but that is not a huge issue to implement.

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:37 PM
  • I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but no I don't want to use domains(because it changes the account credentials) and prefer to stay away from it because of that reason and because I think setting up domains is to to complex for just sharing a folder between servers..
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:13 PM
  • But your not just "sharing a folder"...   As I noted, there are several benefits of using DFS from a resiliency point of view, which a "file sync" solution will not handle.

If you are dead set against adding a domain into the solution, then your only option would be to look to a third-party file sync tool.  You should Google "rsync software" (rsync a Linux tool which is often used to synchronize folders across servers/sites).  There are several tools available (free and paid), each with pluses/minuses, that you will need to evaluate based on your needs.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

Without domain, the only 2 possible solutions to me are:

1. Script (and use schedule task to run it automatically/frequently to keep files in sync) 

2. Application such as Skydrive (files will be stored on internet and changes will also be replicated from secondary server back to primary server) or third party programs like Sean mentioned. 

Friday, November 22, 2013 3:00 AM
  • How are things going? Please let us know if there is any progress.

Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:17 PM
  • I've been setting up domains in some virtual machines.

Should I use a domain for the "master" server which holds all the up to date files and then setup a "child" domain for each location/datacenter which the files should get "pushed" to?

Or can I just use DFS like stated above with only one domain, if so would this be a smart move for use over multiple WAN locations?

If the answer to that is yes, should each server location have a domain controller or can I just make them join the domain which is controlled by the master server?

I'm quite a newbie if we're talking about active directories and domains, next year I will follow a course on how to set these up but for now I'd like to have the above questions answered and perhaps provide me with some information/insights on how to setup my first domain for the above case.

Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:39 PM

Sunday, December 08, 2013 8:50 PM

DFS *does* work with a multiple domains. See:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773238(WS.10).aspx

Must members of a replication group reside in the same domain?

No. Replication groups can span across domains within a single forest but not across different forests.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Monday, December 09, 2013 12:11 AM