none
Mailbox Permissions

Question

• Hello,

I have an Exchange 2003 server and an Exchange 2010 server on the same domain. I plan on decommissioning the 2003 server by the end of the year. My problem is I use many shared mailboxes on the Exchange 2003 server, but once I move that mailbox to the Exchange 2010 server the user's mailbox that still resides on the Exchange 2003 server no longer has permissions to view or edit the mailbox folders that he or she had permission to. Is there a way to make this work??

Thank you in advance,

Richard

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Based on my experience, if the shared mailboxes on the Exchange 2003 server are moved to Exchange 2010 correctly, the permission will not be changed.

The user whose mailbox resides on the Exchange 2003 still have permissions to view or edit the mailbox folders that he or she had permission to.

If it doesn’t work in your environment, please post the detailed problem here and I would like to help you any time.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang

Monday, August 26, 2013 10:03 AM

All replies

• First, how many mailboxes are we talking about here?  Is there a reason you don't move all of them to the new system now?

With that out of the way, your best bet (and most supported, since Exchange 2003 has been out of support for a while) is to move both mailboxes to the new system at the same time (hence my previous questions).  That way, the account will have access to both mailboxes on the same system ...

Friday, August 23, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Based on my experience, if the shared mailboxes on the Exchange 2003 server are moved to Exchange 2010 correctly, the permission will not be changed.

The user whose mailbox resides on the Exchange 2003 still have permissions to view or edit the mailbox folders that he or she had permission to.

If it doesn’t work in your environment, please post the detailed problem here and I would like to help you any time.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang

Monday, August 26, 2013 10:03 AM