Windows 8 0xc0000098 error

Question

• I have been receiving this 0xc0000098 error for a couple of days on my computer. I have windows 7 originally installed on the laptop and just installed windows 8 release preview. I downloaded the windows 8 rp iso on a disc and go to troubleshoot and have tried auto repair which could not fix the issue. There is no previous restore point for system restore or system image recovery. I also have tried refreshing my pc due to having some data that I need to keep. When attempting this I keep getting a message showing "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." How would I be able to fix this issue?
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hey  I finally fixed the issue. I was able to reinstall windows 8 by choosing install windows only when I got to the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen. I tried it before but for some reason it didn't work but now it has which is good. Now I am trying to see if there is anyway to recover all of my pictures, music, videos, and software.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:14 PM

All replies

• You get this error:

//
    // MessageId: STATUS_FILE_INVALID
    //
    // MessageText:
    //
    // The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid.
    //
    #define STATUS_FILE_INVALID              ((NTSTATUS)0xC0000098L)

Try to run chkdsk to fix it.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:31 AM
    Answerer
  • I did that and it showed Run CHKDSK with the /f <fix> option to correct these. Once I did that I recieved this "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it i write protected."
    Monday, June 18, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Please open an elevated command prompt and try the following commands.

diskpart
    list volume
    select volume xxx (where xxx is the write protected problem drive)
    attributes volume clear readonly

After that, please retry disk check.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:25 AM
  • Okay once I did the list volume it showed volume 0 Letter: E as my dvd drive, volume 1 Leter: C as my HP_Recovery, and volume 2 Letter: D as HP_Tools. So none of them actually show my normal hardrive. I'm not sure if my recovery should be writeable. Looks like the normal info on the C drive was replaced with my recovery drive I could have sworn it was D: before all this happened. 
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:04 PM
  • I did that and it showed Run CHKDSK with the /f <fix> option to correct these. Once I did that I recieved this "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it i write protected."
    Run it with /r and /f parameters.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:10 AM
    Answerer

Run it with /r and /f parameters.

Okay I did the chkdsk with the /r and /f however it said the same thing for both The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it i write protected."
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:53 AM
  • it should ask you to scan the disk at reboot.

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:35 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey  I finally fixed the issue. I was able to reinstall windows 8 by choosing install windows only when I got to the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen. I tried it before but for some reason it didn't work but now it has which is good. Now I am trying to see if there is anyway to recover all of my pictures, music, videos, and software.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:14 PM
  • I got it! I was helping my friend install Windows 8 PR on his old dell inspiron and I had the same problem if you press shift f8 to get to the "new safemode" and go to advanced options then find command prompt type DISKPART

then type

DISKPART> list disk

DISKPART> select disk #  (aka C: dive normally) "P.S. you will notice that the C: drive says its a Recovery partition .... this is the problem.."

DISKPART> attributes volume clear readonly

DISKPART> clean

this will WIPE EVERYTHING! but after you reboot you can now install windows to whatever OS you like again (maybe not windows 8) haha

Hope this helps I couldn't find a answer so this seemed to be it.

• Proposed as answer by seanqpter Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by seanqpter Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:55 AM
  • When type list disk, I get there are no fixed disks to show.
    Friday, November 09, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Mine has 2 disks and diskpart is only showing the DATA disk and not the OS disk. I've been supporting Windows since before V3.0 and I've never seen this kind of issue unless a drive was fully dead. In this case the HP system diags say all the disks are OK so I'm pretty confused.
    Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:32 AM
  • How I resolved without rebuilding:

• Removed the battery for 1 minute
    • Powered on laptop and booted into HP diagnostics (In diagnostics both drives showed up and tested OK)
    • Ran the built in chkdsk option on both drives (no errors found)
    • Ran chkdsk /f on the C: drive. No errors fixed.
    • Booted up into the OS and it booted just fine.

This has now happened 3 times to the same laptop. Less than 1 year old and my son did the $15 Win 8 upgrade over the internet. We disabled the quick sleep and wake features as another poster stated that this helped them but it has still happened 2 more times. Looks like a BUG!

• Proposed as answer by wayneboaz Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:56 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:56 AM
  • IT WASNT MY PREFERRED OPTION BUT FOR THE LOWER LEVEL USER IT WAS WELL EXPLAINED AND IT WORKS

Friday, January 04, 2013 10:33 PM
  • I have a client that was using Windows 8 RP and also had this problem. I tried every fix posted here and nothing worked for my situation. Desperate to recover his data I decided to unplug the "Locked Drive", installed a different HHD and loaded Win 8 Pro (full version) on it. I shut down the PC, plugged in the "locked" drive, restarted PC and booted in to the new HDD and it went right to the locked drive and started its repair mode. Once it finished I was able to get into the affected drive and recover ALL of his files without any issues. This worked for me and I hope it will work for others who didn't get success from other options. FYI: I did not try to boot into that drive after recovering his data so I can't say if it would work or not but it did let me get in and get his data out and that was my main goal. Good Luck
    • Edited by Sleeves99 Friday, February 01, 2013 2:42 PM
    Friday, February 01, 2013 2:33 PM