none
Report execution via web browser is very slow

Question

• Hi,
    I have a report which returns large result set. When I execute the report from VS.NET 2008 or directly report SQL query in SQL Management Studio it takes about 30 seconds.

But when I execute the report in a standard way via web browser (IE, Chrome) using report URL it takes 85 seconds.

I am new to SSRS. Is this a normal overhead? I can see high values in TimeProcessing and TimeDataRetrieval columns in Execution log (each 40000), TimeRendering is just 115.

When I use caching I have a response within 1 second. I do not think this is a communication issue when returning result set back to web browser. Unfortunately I cannot use caching in my case.

Please, could anybody explain to me how it works/where the problem is or if it is possible to tune it somehow?

Many thanks.
    Tomas
    Friday, June 28, 2013 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Tomas,

Since the query consumes about 30 seconds when executes in the SSMS, the 40000 m millisecond in the TimeDataRetrieval column of the ExecutionLog view should be in the normal range. The issue seems to be more related to the processing time of the report. You can refer to the following document to improve the report processing performance:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522806(v=sql.105).aspx#Process

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here 

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

what I would like to understand is if this difference is a normal thing or we can configure it somehow for better response times via web browser. Becuase there is difference 55 seconds when execuitng it directly (SSMS or also in VS.NET 2008) comparing to execution via web browser. It seems to me quite big difference and I would like to know if I missed any configuration setting or what can be done to minimise the difference in execution times.

Tuning the report is a second thing.

Many thanks for any clarification.

Reagrds,

Tomas

Monday, July 01, 2013 1:48 PM