none
Upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 standard to Enterprise

Question

• Hello, I am trying to upgrade a server 2008 R2 standard to enterprise by using the following command

dism /online /set-edition:ServerEnterprise /Productkey:XXXXX
    XXXX is obviously where I enter a valid volume license key for 2008R2 Enterprise.

But I receive the following error message
    error:1605
    The specified product key is not valid for the target edition.

I know that if I enter the following command
    Dism /online /Set-Edition:ServerEnterprise /ProductKey:489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y
    Then the upgrade will go through just fine.

But what I want to know is why my valid KMS VLK for 2008R2 Enterprise is failing. Has anyone ever experienced that same issue, and know why a valid key would fail?

Also, are there any downsides to using the KMS client key (
    489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y) to perform the upgrade? Any features that will not function etc. ?

• Edited by Balthier28 Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hello Balthier28,
    as you wrote, you can solve the issue by running the command containing KMS Client Setup Key 489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y and then, once the upgrade is completed, try to change and activate the software with your own KMS Key through Server Manager.

The KMS Client Setup Key is described here TechNet Library Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys.

Read this TechNet Forums thread DISM error attempting to run online upgrade from Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to DataCenter for error 1605 (Make sure the computer is connected to Internet).

...And also this Microsoft Support KB Features missing or incorrect memory reported after using dism /set-edition to upgrade computer.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Help and click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Hello Balthier28,
    did you read provided links ? According to them, these are possible reasons why you could get that error:

• You don't have Internet Connection while you are trying to run the dism command
    • Are you using MAK Key currently ? "This upgrade cannot be done with MAK keys since the MAK keys are associated with multiple editions of product.  You have to use a product key that is unique for the edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 that you are upgrading to." So if it is true, try to change from MAK Key to KMS Client Setup Key (YC6KT-GKW9T-YTKYR-T4X34-R7VHC for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) from Server Manager, and run dism command with your own KMS Key*.

* - I assume it is for Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. | Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Help and click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

• Edited by Luca Fabbri Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Balthier28 Monday, October 28, 2013 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hello Balthier28,
    as you wrote, you can solve the issue by running the command containing KMS Client Setup Key 489J6-VHDMP-X63PK-3K798-CPX3Y and then, once the upgrade is completed, try to change and activate the software with your own KMS Key through Server Manager.

The KMS Client Setup Key is described here TechNet Library Appendix A: KMS Client Setup Keys.

Read this TechNet Forums thread DISM error attempting to run online upgrade from Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise to DataCenter for error 1605 (Make sure the computer is connected to Internet).

...And also this Microsoft Support KB Features missing or incorrect memory reported after using dism /set-edition to upgrade computer.

Bye,
    Luca

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Hello Luca, thanks for the reply. I am aware of KMS Client setup keys.

So what I really want to know is why my VALID KMS VLK key for Enterprise 2008R2 is failing.
    I have called Microsoft, and had the key verified, and they say that there is nothing wrong with it, and that it should work. But still it is not working.

So why is it failing, anyone who knows, or have experienced something similar?

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Hello Balthier28,
    did you read provided links ? According to them, these are possible reasons why you could get that error:

• You don't have Internet Connection while you are trying to run the dism command
    • Are you using MAK Key currently ? "This upgrade cannot be done with MAK keys since the MAK keys are associated with multiple editions of product.  You have to use a product key that is unique for the edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 that you are upgrading to." So if it is true, try to change from MAK Key to KMS Client Setup Key (YC6KT-GKW9T-YTKYR-T4X34-R7VHC for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) from Server Manager, and run dism command with your own KMS Key*.

* - I assume it is for Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Bye,
    Luca

• Edited by Luca Fabbri Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Balthier28 Monday, October 28, 2013 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:52 AM