none
How to host a domain

Question

• Hello,

I have a windows server 2012 environment, with a VM hosting windows server 2012. I created a sharepoint 2013 server on my VM and my goal is to point it to a domain i purchased. New to the development side, and could use as much help as possible.

Can someone help with proving steps on how to host my domain on my VM. I purchased a domain, and I have read that i need to port forward and other details. but havent found a solid document on how to do so and follow best practices.

any help would be great

Friday, February 07, 2014 1:57 AM

Answers

• Purchasing a domain namespace is different than hosting Active Directory Domain Services.

If you're looking to make your sharepoint site available externally, then you need to know your public IP address and add a record for it in the public name space you bought.  Then, you need to allow connectivity through your firewall to your server. 

For example, create a rule on your firewall to allow incoming connections on port 443 to come in to <IP of server> on port 443.

If you're looking to install Active Directory on a server, please refer to this article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574166.aspx

- Chris Ream -

**Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.**

• Marked as answer by Palumbob413 Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:11 PM
    Friday, February 07, 2014 3:38 AM

All replies