none
Windows 8 installs fine, but won't boot.

Question

• I have three different Intel MB computers (about 5-6 years old) which have been working fine with Windows 7, Server 2008R2.  This weekend I tried installing Win 8 and then Server 2012 expecting not to have a problem.  I have he same symptom on all 3,  Windows 8/2012 installs from CD or USB stick perfectly.  On the first re-boot blank screen or flashing cursor.  (Media is fine and if I move the HD to another machine 8/12 continues with the install.  It's something with 8/12 and the machines because if I attach a 7/8R2 HD there's no issue.  I thought it might be a BIOS issue, but updating the BIOS on one, doesn't make a difference.  I am noticing different messages with different HDs.

These are my lab machines, so no big deal, but I'm just wonder if anyone knows what's going on?

Any ideas?

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:26 AM

Answers

• New install - All disks are wiped. - I did find the answer, and the incorrect answer posted here assisted me in thinking through why it wasn't working.  I'll recap to help others.

Symptom
    Installing Windows 8/Server 2012 on an 6-7 year old computer with an Intel motherboard.  The BIOS has a setting for UEFI, (enable of disable).  With UEFI set to disabled I perform a fresh install of 8 or 2012 on a new HD.  The install proceeds without any errors and does the first reboot and displays a blank screen or blinking cursor and nothing.  If I take that disk to another computer the install completes normally and the OS is fine.  If I move it back to the troubled machine, still hangs with a blinking cursor.

BIOS has UEFI setting.  Set to enable - Initial install still won't boot.

Here's the fix.
    Enable UEFI  AND do the installation all over again.  Windows 8/20013 works fine.

What I don't understand is I have several other computers I didn't have to do that with.  Why this one? 

Can anyone explain UEFI booting with BIOS?

Thanks

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• What is the error. can you please post here so we can review it an revert back to you

Akshay Pate Server Administrator

• Proposed as answer by Akshay Pate Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:28 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:36 AM
  • There's no error just a blinking cursor, nothing else. 

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:08 AM
  • have checked BIOS settings. set them to fails safe and then try to boot. 

Also try below link 

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1650840/fix-black-screen-booting-windows.html

Akshay Pate

Server Administrator

• Edited by Akshay Pate Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:31 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Akshay Pate Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:31 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:29 AM
  • You gave me a link about uninstall a device driver.  How do I do that when Windows has completed installing?  Are you thinking Microsoft is shipping product with defective device drivers which are being loaded before Windows is finished installing?

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:58 AM
  • I just noticed if the Windows 8 HD is attacked the BIOS screen doesn't appear on any of the computers.  Two of the computers have a UEFI setting (enabled or disabled) in he BIOS.  Setting the UEFI setting enabled or disabled doesn't matter.  It's as if Windows 8 goes to the HD before he BIOS.

Remember this is a new install.  Windows 8 hasn't finished installing, it's on the first reboot during the install is where it gets hung. 

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:09 AM
  • If you are installing over the previous installation, Win 8 install will behave like an upgrade, backing up the .old files, giving you the black screen while doing so.

It's going to preserve old partitions also, and leave you a messy disk.

Have you left it alone and walked away from it to determine if it will reboot?

Use a bootable disk utility and wipe the drive, then the install of Win8 will go ok.

UEFI or not to UEFI is another discussion. I use it if a machine has it, but it presents disk management changes.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:56 AM
  • New install - All disks are wiped. - I did find the answer, and the incorrect answer posted here assisted me in thinking through why it wasn't working.  I'll recap to help others.

Symptom
    Installing Windows 8/Server 2012 on an 6-7 year old computer with an Intel motherboard.  The BIOS has a setting for UEFI, (enable of disable).  With UEFI set to disabled I perform a fresh install of 8 or 2012 on a new HD.  The install proceeds without any errors and does the first reboot and displays a blank screen or blinking cursor and nothing.  If I take that disk to another computer the install completes normally and the OS is fine.  If I move it back to the troubled machine, still hangs with a blinking cursor.

BIOS has UEFI setting.  Set to enable - Initial install still won't boot.

Here's the fix.
    Enable UEFI  AND do the installation all over again.  Windows 8/20013 works fine.

What I don't understand is I have several other computers I didn't have to do that with.  Why this one? 

Can anyone explain UEFI booting with BIOS?

Thanks

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:16 PM