none
Port forward computers connected to another via Windows Internet Sharing

Question

• I have a small server that I use to run some servers from time to time. The problem with that though is my computer, which stands next to the server, uses the only wireless card that I own. The card uses a USB port, so the Ethernet port on my computer isn't in use. I can set up the server to run off of my computer's Internet from an Ethernet cable, which works fine. I need to be able to open ports on the server, though, so I can run servers off of it and have them be able to be reached to the public. Any way of doing this, buying something being the last resort?
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 11:54 PM

Answers

•   You cannot run RRAS/NAT or ICS with only one NIC. You must have one NIC for the Internet connection and a different NIC for the private devices to connect to.

The only exception is if the additional machines are virtual machines. In that case you can use a Microsoft Loopback Adapter as the private interface for NAT or ICS.

Bill

Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:18 AM
  •   You cannot port forward with ICS. ICS is a simple, cut-down version of NAT and cannot be configured. You would need a full version of NAT, which is not included in the client OS.

You would need third party NAT for the client OS. Or simply buy a proper DSL modem/router and run a home network.

(What does the wireless card connect to, anyway?)

Bill

Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:55 PM

All replies

• Enable the 'Internet Connection Sharing' on the computer that is connecting to your network via wireless.

- Chris Ream -

**Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.**

Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:12 AM
  •   You cannot run RRAS/NAT or ICS with only one NIC. You must have one NIC for the Internet connection and a different NIC for the private devices to connect to.

The only exception is if the additional machines are virtual machines. In that case you can use a Microsoft Loopback Adapter as the private interface for NAT or ICS.

Bill

Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:18 AM
  • He said his computer has two NICs.  The USB Wireless and the ethernet port that can be used to connect to the server.

- Chris Ream -

**Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.**

Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:40 AM
  • I can share the Internet to the server fine, it's just that when I run servers I need to open the ports. I'm just not sure how to go about that, since the server shows up as the same internal IP as my main computer. Would the best guess be to forward my computer's ports?
    Thursday, February 06, 2014 4:35 PM
  •   You cannot port forward with ICS. ICS is a simple, cut-down version of NAT and cannot be configured. You would need a full version of NAT, which is not included in the client OS.

You would need third party NAT for the client OS. Or simply buy a proper DSL modem/router and run a home network.

(What does the wireless card connect to, anyway?)

Bill

Thursday, February 06, 2014 10:55 PM