none
Cant start User Profile Sync Service

Question

• I have tested below condition and everything in right place but still I am not able to start the services

1. You must run the UPA Service Instance as the Farm Account.
    2. Farm Account must be a local administrator of the machine running the UPA Service Instance during provisioning only.
    3. Farm Account must have Log on Locally rights.
    4. The Synchronization Connection Account must have Replicating Directory Changes..
    5. Sharepoint webservices application pool  started  in IIS.

During the start process it get this error.

UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Begin setup for 'Hamra User Profile Service'.
    ILM Configuration: Configuring database
    UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure MIIS post database, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException (0x80004005): External component has thrown an exception.    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.Synchronization.ILMPostSetupConfiguration.ConfigureMiisStage2()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.SetupSynchronizationService(ProfileSynchronizationServiceInstance profileSyncInstance).
    UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: End setup for 'Hamra User Profile Service'.

After it fails i get this error

User Profile Application: SynchronizeMIIS encounters an exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.<>c__DisplayClass2.<IsTimerJobRunning>b__1()    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass5.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__3()    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.IsTimerJobRunning(UserProfileApplicationJob timerJob)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS()    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ILMProfileSynchronizationJob.Execute()

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:35 PM

Answers

• I fixed it finally.

The issue is that UPS does not like Powershell profiles.

So to fix it I 

1. Moved the Profile file in the powershell folder to a new folder
    2. deleted cache
    3. un-prevision the DB's
    4. Reran the script and finally it started.
    • Marked as answer by c_ostroski Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:02 PM

All replies

• It looks like the User Profile Import Job (timer job) may be missing.  Can you delete and recreate the Service Application?

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:46 PM
  • i have deleted and recreated the ups multiple times.  i have even tried with powershell
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Can you try to do the same troubleshooting as this person did?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/50e92b07-66d5-4025-894b-efaf0e59330e/profile-sync-service-wont-start-up-again-after-restart-of-server

It looks like he ran process monitor and was able to look at SQL communication...

I think Netmon and Wireshark can also view SQL communication

Please mark my response as an answer if appropriate.
    Learn.SharePoint.com

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:31 PM
  • As you see, my ILM Configurations are not falling.

• ILM Configuration: Validating account.
    • ILM Configuration: Validating the system groups
    • ILM Configuration: Setting up WMI
    • ILM Configuration: Setting required permissions
    • ILM Configuration: Create install config file
    • ILM Configuration: Update source project
    • ILM Configuration: Changing service account credentials
    • ILM Configuration: Setting policy for service account
    • ILM Configuration: Configuring database
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:53 PM
  • I have the same issue.  Have recreated the UPS app on the same app pool, this did not fix it.

have made the farm account a local admin, still no joy.

mmm... coffee...

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:46 PM
  • I fixed it finally.

The issue is that UPS does not like Powershell profiles.

So to fix it I 

1. Moved the Profile file in the powershell folder to a new folder
    2. deleted cache
    3. un-prevision the DB's
    4. Reran the script and finally it started.
    • Marked as answer by c_ostroski Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:02 PM
  • HI there,

having exactly the same Problem, but how can I delete a powershell Profile?

Futhermore I can not find a Profile file in the c:\windows\systen32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0.

And which cache should be deleted?

I hope that you can give me some more Details concerning your solution.

Thxs,

Christian

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Hi, I have exactly the same situation.

I have my SharePoint 2013 farm on Windows Server 2012 and I can't find the profile file in the c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

Does anybody can help me with that? I'm like 1 month with the same problem and I've tried everything! please help!

Piero Marchena Sekli

• Edited by pmarchena Wednesday, October 09, 2013 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 12:26 PM
  • All of the PowerShell related items are located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\CONFIG\POWERSHELL\.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 3:21 PM
  • After literary hours of research and testing, this finally resolved the issue. I would have never guessed that a PowerShell profile would cause such an issue with SharePoint.

Thank You

Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Please, for more detail about the possible solution to this problem!
    Monday, March 03, 2014 11:04 AM