none
Service Manager console crash after editing knowledge article

Question

• Hello,

When editing a knowledge article in the Service Manager console, when I click apply --> OK my console crashes, looking into the application event log, I see the following entry:

An exception was thrown while processing ReadFromStream for session ID uuid:9b6310ca-a4a5-46ad-af8e-8d513cc6b347;id=56.

Exception message: Connection is in invalid state; reopen the connection.

Full Exception: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.InvalidConnectionException: Connection is in invalid state; reopen the connection. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Invalid attempt to read when no data is present.

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.GetBytes(Int32 i, Int64 dataIndex, Byte[] buffer, Int32 bufferIndex, Int32 length)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessLayer.SqlRetryHandler.ExecuteReaderBinaryColumn(ExecuteArguments executeArguments, Int64& length)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessLayer.SqlRetryHandler.Execute[T](ExecuteArguments executeArguments, RetryPolicy retryPolicy, GenericExecute`1 genericExecute)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessLayer.SqlRetryHandler.Execute[T](ExecuteArguments executeArguments, RetryPolicy retryPolicy, GenericExecute`1 genericExecute)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessLayer.SqlRetryHandler.ExecuteReaderBinaryColumn(SqlDataReader sqlDataReader, SqlConnection sqlConnection, IList`1 prologEpilogList, RetryPolicy retryPolicy, Byte[] buffer, Int32 bufferIndex, Int32 bufferLength, Int64 dataIndex, Boolean closeConnectionOnDone)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessLayer.BinaryColumnReader.Read(Byte[] buffer)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.ClientReaderManager.GetData(Guid id, Int32 count, IContext context)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.EntityObjectsService.ReadFromStream(Guid readerId, Int32 count)

When editing the KA and directly pressing OK, I don't get an error message and the changes are saved.

SCSM version is 2012 SP1 CU2.

Is this a bug or has anyone experienced this behavior before ?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 12:38 PM

All replies

• Does this happen on any machine you are editing a KB on or just your local machine?
    Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:02 PM
  • This happens on all the consoles and on the console installed on the server itself

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:12 PM
  • I can't say I've ever seen this issue before, and I have edited KB articles using the same version and patch level. You may want to keep your SQL Server to make sure there are not any deadlocks causing the issue. If you are able to, you might want to try rebooting the SQL Server to see if that fixes it. If so, it is most likely a deadlock.  Below are a couple of links that provide guidance on troubleshooting deadlocks. 

http://avishkarm.blogspot.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-deadlocks-in-sql-server.html

http://aboutsqlserver.com/2011/06/23/locking-in-microsoft-sql-server-part-6-how-to-troubleshoot-deadlocks/

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Rebooting the SQL Server doesn't fix the issue, so probably not deadlock-related.

Any other ideas ? I guess I should open a case @ Microsoft

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:34 AM
  • I can't really think of anything else to try. Since it is happening on ever console, it sounds like something on the back end. Unless someone else here has any thoughts I would suggest contact Microsoft. 
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:01 PM
  • We get exactly the same issue.

Have recently done a 300+ KA import and have my guys going through the articles cleaning them up and every now and then we get that error and consoles hang.

Immediate resolution is to restart the SC Data Access Service on the MS the consoles connect to (I have a SCOM rule that does this as a recovery task).

The issue appears to be random and we aren't seeing deadlocks but that is at first glance.

I'm only starting to troubleshoot it properly now and will advise if I get any more info.

BTW we are fully patched, 2 MS, one for SM DB and the second for console connections.

Aengus

• Edited by AengusM Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:40 AM rephrase
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:38 AM
  • I am experiencing this myself.  did you ever find a solution?
    Monday, September 08, 2014 3:29 AM