none
Alternative to Public Folders For A Shared Calendar?

Question

• Since Microsoft seems intent on getting rid of Public Folders, I'm wondering what the best alternative for sharing a calendar that is to be used for multiple users (such as scheduling vacations or other events)?

An individual user creating a secondary calendar and then sharing  it out does not seem to be a good solution for us because when that user leaves, and their mailbox is deleted, that calendar will disappear with their account.

We cannot use a resource mailbox because then the calendar will appear as a room or equipment mailbox when it is not.

If we create a fake user to share the calendar, then it is wasting our CALs.

So, what is the best was to create shared calendars that are not tied to a user account that is subject to being deleted when the user leaves the company?

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is recommended to create a resource mailbox and share the calendar through that. A resource mailbox does not use a CAL.

A resource mailbox is a mailbox that represents conference rooms and company equipment. Resource mailboxes can be included as resources in meeting requests, providing a simple and efficient way to manage the scheduling of resources for your organization.

Here is a thread for your reference.

Managing Resource Mailboxes and Scheduling

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124374(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it helps.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 5:36 AM
  • We already have resource mailboxes and calendars that we use for rooms and equipment.

I mentioned above that it appears that resource mailboxes are not a good option for the purposes we would like to use these calendars for because, when you create a resource mailbox, it forces you to categorize it as either a room or as equipment.  We will not be using these calendars for rooms or equipment.  

They will be shared team calendars that will be used for various things such as team events and vacation scheduling etc..

If these calendars are listed as rooms or as equipment it will just cause confusion to users and clutter our address lists when users are trying to find available rooms and equipment.  If we hide the calendars from the address lists, then that will be a problem for users trying to find the calendar. 

Is there some way to add a new category of resource mailbox other than "Rooms" and "Equipment" so the shared calendars are easy to find without being listed in the same group of addresses as our conference rooms and equipment?

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 3:59 PM
  • They've certainly been giving mixed messages over the last few years, but at the moment, Public Folders may be back in favour:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj552408(v=exchg.150).aspx

OWA For SmartPhone
    www.leederbyshire.com

Thursday, January 02, 2014 11:33 AM
  • Why not create a user mailbox and grant users necessary permissions (Full Permissions for example) so they can do whatever they need to do and then have them add the calendar to their Outlook profile?

Better yet, create a group having Full Permissions on the mailbox and then add users to that mailbox. That way, you configure permissions once (for the group) and then add/remove users from the group as needed to regulate access to the mailbox/calendar?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, January 02, 2014 2:25 PM
  • From what I have found, SharePoint will be the solution.  Outlook will connect to SharePoint so you can still update the calendar from a single screen.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/view-and-update-a-sharepoint-calendar-HA010081987.aspx

Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Why not create a user mailbox and grant users necessary permissions (Full Permissions for example) so they can do whatever they need to do and then have them add the calendar to their Outlook profile?

Better yet, create a group having Full Permissions on the mailbox and then add users to that mailbox. That way, you configure permissions once (for the group) and then add/remove users from the group as needed to regulate access to the mailbox/calendar?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

We are trying to avoid wasting CALS and making a dummy user and user mailbox wastes CALS.
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:22 PM