none
offline (disconnected) WSUS server "not downloading" not all updates downloaded - changing language options before export

Question

• hi all,
    I've read most if not all relevant WSUS postings for the last 4 days on this forum, but still not solved a problem...

SCENARIO: I have an offline (disconnected) WSUS server which reports for many updates a very well known problem "...The files for this update have not yet been downloaded. ..."
    Server status says "Downloaded 1,106,91 MB of 210,704.04 MB" so this makes sense.

All relevant settings on the online and offline server are identical (all the guidelines are followed), wsuscontent folder is copied rather than just its content, and import was performed (after the settings were applied on the offline server)
    I've checked wsus client and server logs and event logs on both, without luck.
    The file contents and size of both wsuscontent folder is identical, however since the offline server is on a domain withe a different name and of course no thrust ("offline" :)), the ACLs are inherently different but otherwise the folders are identical.

QUESTIONS:
    1) is there a log anywhere of the wsusutil IMPORT process (i.e., which files it presumably could not import, though they exist physically in the offline wsuscontent folder).
    2) What if: the language settings on the online server have been set to "all languages" at some time during its installation with a daily synchronization. Then, say a year later, changed on the online server to include only 2 languages. Hereafter the offline server is installed and configured to include exactly these 2 languages (as per several guides). Then the export would include ALL languages for some updates, and only 2 languages for the newer updates, correct? Could this confuse the offline server as in my case?

kind regards, Michael

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:06 AM

Answers

• wsuscontent folder is copied rather than just its content

Let's start here. Go back to all of those relevant postings (and maybe go back 4 months, not 4 days), and find what they all say about copying the WSUSContent folder.

It is the CONTENT that should be copied (subfolders '00' thru 'FF'), not the parent folder (WSUSContent).

2) What if: the language settings on the online server have been set to "all languages" at some time during its installation with a daily synchronization. Then, say a year later, changed on the online server to include only 2 languages. Hereafter the offline server is installed and configured to include exactly these 2 languages (as per several guides). Then the export would include ALL languages for some updates, and only 2 languages for the newer updates, correct?

Correct.
    Could this confuse the offline server as in my case?
    No, because the languages settings refer to the *FILES* downloaded when an update is approved, not the update itself. The update definition is displayed in the language chosen by the console machine, but the metadata is language agnostic. Worst case scenario here is that you're copying a lot of extra files over to the disconnected server that are not needed for all of those unselected languages that were previously downloaded to the online server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

1) I think you can find download status from your WSUS server in your WindowsUpdate.log file you'll find in the %systemroot% folder.
    I don't know if you'll have a precise state on which file were not downloaded, but you'll find for sure a success/error code for each action made by the WSUS agent.

2) I don't really understand your question.
    I'll have a look to my own WSUS and check what I do have.

TiGrOu.

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Hi TiGrOu,

1. I assume you mean the %program files%\update services\logfiles folder? (%systemroot% does not contain any information on the import process). And yes I checked under "update services", but was unable to find relevant information about the import process.

2. I'll try to elaborate :)
    If you both have an online and offline server, then both language settings have to be exactly the same. E.g., English+Danish on the online server need English+Danish on the offline server. This means the receiving (offline) server won't expect languages the sending (online) server does not have. This will work.
    but... my problem is this: the online server has for a long time downloaded ALL languages. Just recently the language setting was changed to English+Danish. The receiving server, never having received updates, has also been configured to receive only English+Danish as per guide.
    My question is this: the "older" updates (from before the online server was changed to include only 2 languages) are probably not deleted. I have of course run a cleanup, but expect that unwanted languages are NOT deleted, just entire updates can de deleted. Could the remaning languages affect the import on the receiving server? Note that I can see on the receiving server, under an update under "File Information" that more than just English+Danish reside in the database on disk. But since the settings disallow the extra languages, could this "confure" WSUS in thinking it still has to download the remaning languages?

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:44 PM
  • wsuscontent folder is copied rather than just its content

Let's start here. Go back to all of those relevant postings (and maybe go back 4 months, not 4 days), and find what they all say about copying the WSUSContent folder.

It is the CONTENT that should be copied (subfolders '00' thru 'FF'), not the parent folder (WSUSContent).

2) What if: the language settings on the online server have been set to "all languages" at some time during its installation with a daily synchronization. Then, say a year later, changed on the online server to include only 2 languages. Hereafter the offline server is installed and configured to include exactly these 2 languages (as per several guides). Then the export would include ALL languages for some updates, and only 2 languages for the newer updates, correct?

Correct.
    Could this confuse the offline server as in my case?
    No, because the languages settings refer to the *FILES* downloaded when an update is approved, not the update itself. The update definition is displayed in the language chosen by the console machine, but the metadata is language agnostic. Worst case scenario here is that you're copying a lot of extra files over to the disconnected server that are not needed for all of those unselected languages that were previously downloaded to the online server.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:02 PM