none
Hyper-V Host displays error "Automatic Reapir Failed" and will not start after Power Outage

Question

• I have a single Dell PowerEdge configured as a Hyper-V host running Wink12 R2 Preview as a Native Boot VHD and hosting about a dozen VM's. We had a break in the power, just a lights on lights off, but it was enough to shut the machine down and trigger restart.

But the machine won't restart--instead it displays a message "Automatic repair Failed" and none of the Advanced repair options work to get the host back online.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Michael J. Murphy

Thursday, January 02, 2014 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael

Any update on solution suggested by "Elton_Ji".

You can do one more thing press

F8 and select "disable automatic restart on system failure" using this command you can see actual error in blue screen. if you found "unmountable boot volume" You can simply run check-disk using rescue disk.(Use Norton Disk doctor bootebale disk)

Akshay Pate

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:03 AM
  • Akshay--nice tip, if I am ever in this situation I shall remember it. I think it's clear the OS was corrupted. I've already gone ahead and installed R2 and am trying to rescue the vm's. When I try to boot them I get "Unable to Boot" so clearly they are all corrupt as well. Because it's a new install I can't access the checkpoints I created in the earlier install--but I have them. This morning I was going to try and copy them over into the new install and see if I can rollback to the last checkpoint.

I appreciate the pointers, gentlemen, I have not managed servers in production since 1995 and I am a little rusty. What did I do wrong?

1. No automated backups

2. No Restore Points--that would have saved me.

3. No UPS--which would have saved me this time, but not exposed the need for BU and Restore Points.

I'll fix those things for this install.

Thanks.

Michael J. Murphy

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 2:33 PM

All replies